[StBernard] NEWS: Laptops delivered

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Nov 7 19:54:18 EST 2007

NEWS: Governor makes good on technology commitment

Periodically, the press office will publish editorials, articles and columns that feature Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco's work in various areas.

American Press: Governor makes good on technology commitment
Published Wednesday, November 7, 2007
Click here to read the article online. <http://www.americanpress.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1870&Itemid=105>

SULPHUR - Maplewood Middle School will be the first of 54 schools in the state to receive laptop computers through the Turn On To Learning education initiative.

"This school understood, immediately, the benefits of this program," Gov. Kathleen Blanco said during a visit to the school Tuesday.

"This is not the first time I've been to Calcasieu Parish to initiate a program. That's because you have a way of looking at your needs critically and delivering."

The initiative provides Apple MacBook laptops to two classes of sixth-grade students in each school district in the state. Fifty students and four teachers at Maplewood! received nearly $70,000 worth of technology last Wednesday.

"What you've done has certainly left a footprint for education in Louisiana," School Superintendent Wayne Savoy told Blanco.

The initiative is a voluntary research and development pilot program to help the state develop its approach to "one-to-one" learning.

"That means one computer for every one student," Blanco said. "It's as important as the books, paper and pencils of an earlier age."

Blanco said she recalls hearing about former Gov. Huey Long sending paper and pencils to schools during his time in office.

"TOTL delivers on my promise to provide laptops to middle schools," said Blanco. "It is a beginning and one that future policymakers can't retreat from."

She said all Louisiana schools will one day feature laptop computers.

According to Blanco, Apple developed the "digital backpack" laptop package specifi! cally for the program. The laptops have wireless capabilities that all ow for connection to overhead projectors and are equipped with the latest software.

The state has appropriated $5 million in hardware and software for the program.

Blanco said the participating schools will provide models for research. Students will use the laptops in core subjects for four hours a day.

"That's total immersion," Blanco said. "We're testing a variety of models to see what works well and why or what doesn't and why not."

Blanco said the 3,530 students and 153 teachers receiving the laptops will provide a tremendous amount of insight. The state has provided the same laptops to district personnel, state colleges of education and technical centers to provide a network of support.

"I am counting on Maplewood Middle School, its teachers and its students to hold and protect one of many important sparks that TOTL generates," Blanco said.

"These are sparks of innovation and discov! ery. These are sparks of promise and hope. And these are the sparks that ignite our passion for learning and help create the bright future Louisiana needs and deserves."

Teacher Kristi Bult said students in her math class took to their laptops with ease. She presented a movie the students made about the space shuttle Discovery - which is scheduled to land today - to School Board members and administrators. The students researched space shuttles and found photographs and music to complete the project.

Student Annabelle Goltzman said she thinks the iPhoto program the students used on the project is "really cool."

Sulphur Mayor Ron LeLeux thanked the governor for her support of Sulphur.

"There was never a time in the last four years when I felt like I couldn't call you," he said.

###