[StBernard] Governor Blanco thanks Congress for fulfilling commitment to fund the Road Home program

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat Nov 10 10:29:23 EST 2007

Governor Blanco thanks Congress for fulfilling commitment to fund the Road Home program

BATON ROUGE - Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco issued the following statement after the U.S. Senate voted late last night in favor of a defense spending bill containing $3 billion for the Road Home program:

"This was a monumental week for Louisiana's recovery, and I thank Congress for this swift action to deliver the critical funding needed to keep the Road Home moving forward. I have traveled to Washington DC three times this year to work with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Majority Whip Jim Clyburn, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and this Congress to secure a commitment for our ongoing recovery needs. I'm happy to say Tuesday's trip to Capitol Hill will be a thank-you visit, and we have much to be thankful for. The $3 billion for the Road Home Senator Mary Landrieu successfully negotiated allows us to keep up the momentum we've gained, averaging 10,000 awards per month to our homeowners.

"I am particularly grateful for the hard work of Louisiana's Congressional Delegation and Governor-elect Bobby Jindal. We stood united in this effort, showing bipartisan, statewide support of this important funding. I urge President Bush to sign this legislation immediately."

###