[StBernard] Senate Passes Landrieu Resolution Supporting Oral History Project for Veterans

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Nov 12 21:22:58 EST 2007

Senate Passes Landrieu Resolution Supporting Oral History Project for
Veterans

WASHINGTON - During the last working day before Veteran's Day, the United
States Senate yesterday unanimously passed a resolution sponsored by United
States Senator Mary L. Landrieu, D-La., to support the designation of next
week as National Veterans History Project Week.

"The American Folklife Center is undertaking a noble project to collect the
oral histories of our veterans," Sen. Landrieu said. "But they need the
public to be aware of this project to increase the volume of our veterans'
stories that we retain for future generations.

"Veteran's Day 2007 deserves particular pause as we pray for our soldiers
fighting bravely the Middle East and honor the veterans of all the preceding
wars who fought courageously to secure our Democracy today.

"It is fitting that this Veterans' Day, we encourage the nation to rally
around our veterans and collect their stories of sacrifice in the name of
freedom."

National Veterans History Project Week, November 11-17, will encourage
public participation in a nationwide veterans' oral history project that the
American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress is undertaking. The
project uses volunteers to collect oral histories and needs help to reach
the 17 million wartime veterans living today. The resolution asks the public
to interview at least one veteran in their family or community and
encourages participation by local, state and national organizations along
with federal, state, city and parish or county governments.

- 30 -