[StBernard] The (gulp!) -- R-Word!

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Nov 12 22:30:26 EST 2007

>If one cannot say the N-word, then certainly, the same has to apply to the

>R-Word because it involves sensitivity to a race of individuals.

"Ah, no it does not." --Jim.

Jer responds appropriately:

Again, Jim. I MUST disagree.

If insults are defined as such that leads to one being ridiculed, harassed,
targeted, and immorally brutalized, than calling one the R-Word is JUST as
insulting as using the N-Word, the D-WORD, the C-Word, the M-Word, and other
defamatory remarked words. Differentiating or giving one race or culture
acceptance to be "fine-tuned to demoralization" is as powerful an insult as
any term I heard. If the N-word is to be used towards one culture, creed or
race, then it must also be universally applied to all or to NONE. SOME
blacks given demeaning remarks does affect all blacks, per se. The same goes
with any other players in our society.

If I were a country dude and the R-Word was used to demean me, I would have
few thoughts about if or why they were applied but to insult me.

If we get to that point, we must reverse the trend to a null. If we consider
fairness to play a part of the game of life, there must not be an
isolationist point of view allowing one people or group of people the
privilege of having a "right to insult" and none left over to others who are
intimidated, verbally abused or their lives traipsed by vile slang or anger.

Your point doesn't hold water, so I will consider it full of holes or an
isolationist view.

It's a liberal view to assume whites, Mongolians, Native Americans, Eskimos
etc. never get insulted. If used out of proper context, some in the past
might consider improper usage of demeaning terms or symbols "fighting
words".

It's a point to be well-taken by today's law-givers, but alas, turning one's
head to a tunnel-vision point of view to allow one culture a "privilege to
complain" and others ignored are justifiably not only unfair, but unlawful
to humankind. Again, human rights are such for all or they should apply to
none.

--Jer--