[StBernard] A Nation of Initials

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sun Nov 18 11:01:24 EST 2007

"Jer, You are right that many things happened to other nationalities in
history,
but when you mention italians, spaniards, etc. please remember that the
prejudices as far as "race" goes is not so easy to discern when we talk of
these nationalities, meaning that being italian isn't as easy to tell as
being black. And, if we could get television to knock down some of these
stereotypes maybe just maybe we can get to a place where this is no longer
an issue. --Wendy"

Firstly, I can paraphrase when we say discrimination in America is based on
not only race, but religion, creed or gender, etc.

I happen to have blue eyes and brightly white skin, but some of my family
(and of course, ancestors) are dark in skin, eyes, hair, etc. Since many do
not wish profiling which can include a wider nose, wiry hair, and cultural
speech detection, this will come to who looks "black". Many like it better
50 yrs. ago, when the only real challenge to "name-calling" was coming back
with a better stereotypical joke! I told many jokes about each culture, and
in return heard more Dago jokes in retaliation. No angered results. People
loved hearing these types of jokes because people had sense of humor.

Then someone invented the "political correctness attitude" and the world
went into a tailspin. I still can take a good joke (eh, providing people
keep the cussing part out because it insults my intelligence to hear one has
to curse to get a laugh these days). Jokes were good for one's health. Since
then, all sorts of diseases have been coined, and one in particular--Stress.

Never heard of the word as a youngster until I was at lease 40. That was
over 20 yrs. ago.

So, to reiterate, getting along is as easy as talking nice, but if one gets
angered, we tend to go overboard and "sticks and stones can break my bones,
but Names will get prosecuted!" gets mentioned.

Pitiful.

--jer--