[StBernard] Interesting idea about new hospital

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Nov 23 10:56:56 EST 2007

It's going to be difficult for political cronies to give the contract for
the hospital to a "contractor buddy." A project of this size and cost will
go out for public bid and contractors from around the state will bid on it.
The lowest bidder will likely win it unless the governing administration can
justify why the next lowest bidder (or higher) should be given the contract.
Typically, when that happens the low bidder will sue and likely win,
especially if they establish the fact they were a competent contractor - and
such big contractors usually have a whole team of lawyers.

Also, on a project of this size, there are "qualification" requirements,
such as the contractor will have to provide proof to having built similar
projects in size and cost...and there aren't many local contractors (if any)
in St. Bernard that have ever built anything like that. There will be no
"local favorite" factor in the award process because federal funds will be
used for this project, so brownie points cannot be given to a local.

Plus, you can bet everyone (state, feds, etc.) will be watching the bid and
award process like a hawk. I don't believe "Parish Bubba and Friends
Construction" really have a chance to win this project. Look for the likes
of a Landis Construction or Brice Construction to win the contract for this
project.

John Scurich