[StBernard] Interesting idea about new hospital

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Nov 23 21:42:19 EST 2007

I agree John about the contractors/contracting. However, I still think
maybe it's best to let the new administration/council appoint the hospital
board. I think there would be more accountability if the new admin/council
does the appointments and not someone who is already out of office.

Jim

It's going to be difficult for political cronies to give the
contract for
the hospital to a "contractor buddy." A project of this size and
cost will
go out for public bid and contractors from around the state will bid
on it.
The lowest bidder will likely win it unless the governing
administration can
justify why the next lowest bidder (or higher) should be given the
contract.
Typically, when that happens the low bidder will sue and likely win,
especially if they establish the fact they were a competent
contractor - and
such big contractors usually have a whole team of lawyers.

Also, on a project of this size, there are "qualification"
requirements,
such as the contractor will have to provide proof to having built
similar
projects in size and cost...and there aren't many local contractors
(if any)
in St. Bernard that have ever built anything like that. There will
be no
"local favorite" factor in the award process because federal funds
will be
used for this project, so brownie points cannot be given to a local.

Plus, you can bet everyone (state, feds, etc.) will be watching the
bid and
award process like a hawk. I don't believe "Parish Bubba and Friends
Construction" really have a chance to win this project. Look for the
likes
of a Landis Construction or Brice Construction to win the contract
for this
project.

John Scurich