[StBernard] A Great Exhibit!

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Nov 28 00:19:27 EST 2007

If I could recommend any trip to a museum it would be to go see "When
Baseball Went to War" at the National World War II / D-Day Museum.
Particularly if you are older and a baseball fan, you will thoroughly enjoy
this exhibit which runs through March 30th of next year. As you will learn,
when our nation called, our national pastime's heroes laid down their bats
and gloves and went to serve in the European and Pacific theaters. Very
few, if any, accepted "cushy" jobs while serving and most all saw combat.
You learn how many great players, most in their prime, lost a good 4 years
of their careers and top salaries - yet none complained. Players such as
Joe DiMaggio, Stan "the Man" Musial and Ted Williams - of whom I believe had
the greatest swing of all time. These men realized they were setting an
example for others to follow.

I can only wonder how many of today's overpaid and overpampered athletes
would also be willing to make such a sacrifice if called upon by their
country?

By all mean, go see the exhibit and see if it leaves you asking the same
question that went through my mind....where are such men in sports today?

John Scurich