[StBernard] Louisiana first state to receive coastal assistance approval

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Nov 29 22:02:13 EST 2007

Louisiana first state to receive coastal assistance approval

PAULINA, La. - Louisiana and its coastal parishes will soon share $510 million in federal funding over four years to help offset the impact of outer continental shelf energy production, after Louisiana became the first state to receive approval from the U.S. Department of the Interior for its Coastal Impact Assistance Program plan.

Louisiana is the first state to receive federal approval of its coastal assistance plan under this new program.

Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco joined Minerals Management Service Director Randall Luthi to make the announcement today at the St. James Boat Club along the Blind River in St. James Parish, a project site included in the plan. The approval of Louisiana's plan allows the state and coastal parishes to submit grant proposals for CIAP projects involving conservation, restoration, enhancement and protection of coastal resources and important infrastructure.

"This approval lays a solid foundation for the state and coastal parishes to restore America's Energy Coast," Governor Blanco said. "Outer Continental Shelf drilling fuels our nation, but our coastline has paid the price for far too long. Our disappearing wetlands and coastline play a vital role in our culture, our economy, and our protection, and we must act now to ensure their vitality. I thank MMS and the Department of the Interior for moving forward with this critical funding to help Louisiana and other coastal states restore this precious resource."

Secretary of the Interior Dirk Kempthorne today applauded federal approval of Louisiana's plan, calling it a major step forward in providing up to $1 billion over four years to help Outer Continental Shelf oil and gas producing states restore and protect their shoreline environments.

"I welcome this opportunity to fund these vital projects for the State of Louisiana and 19 of its coastal parishes," Kempthorne said. "Restoring and protecting natural coastal resources is fundamental to the Interior Department's mission."

Created by the Energy Policy Act of 2005, the Coastal Impact Assistance Program disburses $250 million annually for four years, 2007 - 2010, to six eligible Outer Continental Shelf oil and gas producing states - Louisiana, Alabama, Alaska, California, Mississippi and Texas. The funding includes $127.5 million for each of the fiscal years 2007 and 2008, totaling $255 million, to Louisiana and 19 Coastal Political Subdivisions (parishes) for funding of projects outlined in the plan.

With the plan's approval, MMS will post Louisiana's Grant Program Announcement on www.grants.gov <http://keelson.eatel.net/websites/la.gov/action.cfm?md=communication&task=addClick&msg_ID=4720&ID=d7i%3Ee%23ign%2Fnv&redirect=http://www.grants.gov> today. The announcement provides instructions and guidance on the submittal process for CIAP grant applications. Funding is made available to the State and parishes when the grants are awarded.

Louisiana's plan, which contains 168 projects covering all four years of the program, is the first plan to be approved. All projects must comply with one of five authorized CIAP uses: the conservation, protection, or restoration of coastal areas, including wetlands; mitigation of damage to fish, wildlife, or natural resources; planning assistance and the administrative costs of complying with CIAP legislation; implementation of a federally-approved marine, coastal, or comprehensive conservation management plan; or mitigation of the impact of offshore oil and gas activities through funding of onshore infrastructure and public service needs.

The remaining five eligible states--Alabama, Alaska, California, Mississippi and Texas-- have until July 1, 2008 to submit their final plans to MMS.

"MMS has looked at these projects and is confident that they meet the requirements of the program to further the efforts of Louisiana to restore, enhance and protect its natural coastal resources," said Kempthorne.

The allocation of the $127.5 million will be divided with 65 percent of the funding going to the State of Louisiana - $82.9 million and 35 percent being split among the 19 southern parishes -- $44.6 million. See below table for parish distribution.
Louisiana Coastal Political Subdivisions

CIAP Fiscal Year 2007 and Fiscal Year 2008 Allocations

Coastal Political Subdivisions (CPS) Percent of Allocation Total Allocation

Assumption 3.28% $1,464,263.20

Calcasieu 4.95% $2,209,951.24

Cameron 6.58% $2,939,072.41

Iberia 5.04% $2,250,670.86

Jefferson 8.55% $3,815,520.53

Lafourche 5.26% $2,348,997.75

Livingston 3.70% $1,652,927.20

Orleans 8.45% $3,773,991.48

Plaquemines 10.20% $4,554,253.97

St. Bernard 5.17% $2,307,278.02

St. Charles 3.53% $1,577,519.47

St. James 3.08% $1,374,598.90

St. John the Baptist 3.32% $1,479,903.09

St. Martin 3.60% $1,607,963.60

St. Mary 4.21% $1,880,298.83

St. Tammany 4.97% $2,217,097.81

Tangipahoa 3.75% $1,675,530.05

Terrebonne 7.54% $3,364,675.17

Vermilion 4.81% $2,147,250.92

Total 100.00% $44,641,764.50

###

The Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Louisiana's Fund for Louisiana's People
www.louisianahelp.org