[StBernard] To Craig --- RE: Interesting idea about new hospital

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Nov 30 21:02:46 EST 2007

>The physicians appointed to the board have to be domiciled residents of St

>Bernard Parish. I'm thinking there are two and they are the two who have

>been running the Medical Clinic.

SJK: Could you kindly point out where you found that information regarding
physicians appointed to the board? I've not seen that before...

>What should be on the ballot is the new property or sales taxes we'll end

up

>paying for this hospital, as it will only be profitable with a certain

ratio

>of private pay patients to public (medicare/medicaid or indigent) patients.

Did you go to the meeting to express your opinion about this? Perhaps a
community hospital is a bad idea. It's not too late to nix the entire
thing.

Oh another thing: If you have medical insurance courtesy of your employer,
you are not "private-pay". Private pay means out of your back pocket. If
you have group insurance through your employer, your insurance company has
already negotiated discounted prices for any services you receive.

My mother has Medicare and I think she'd resent the idea that you want to
lump medicare into "public" care. She pays her premiums monthly and in
addition pays another $170.00 or so a month for a medicare supplement.
That's hardly "public".

Jim

>From what little I understand from the meetings and presentations
is

The physicians appointed to the board have to be domiciled residents
of St
Bernard Parish. I'm thinking there are two and they are the two who
have
been running the Medical Clinic.

What should be on the ballot is the new property or sales taxes
we'll end up
paying for this hospital, as it will only be profitable with a
certain ratio
of private pay patients to public (medicare/medicaid or indigent)
patients.

SJK