[StBernard] A little oopsie for Brad Pitt

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Dec 6 21:14:36 EST 2007

Recipient of aid from Brad Pitt charity once pled guilty to federal
fraud charge
08:46 PM CST on Wednesday, December 5, 2007
WWLTV.com

The people working on actor Brad Pitt's local charity were a little
shocked after learning that one of the people they almost built a house
for had pled guilty to a federal fraud charge earlier this year.

Bill Haber / Associated Press
Pitt is launching his latest project to build affordable,
environmentally friendly homes in the Lower Ninth Ward, which was
devastated by
Hurricane Katrina.

52-year-old Robert Green was the poster child at Pitt's unveiling of
the "Make It Right" project on Monday. Green lost everything after the
storm, including part of his family, but Pitt's staff said the actor
didn't know about Green's past.

The U.S. Attorney's Office said Green pled guilty to falsifying
documents for a home mortgage.
He'll be sentenced in February.

In fact, the group hired a company out of Mississippi called
Enterprise Corporation of the Delta to catch these types of things.
However, the
company told Eyewitness News on Wednesday that the screening process
had not started at the time of the press conference in order to weed out
applicants.

"We're at the beginning of what will be included in the screening
process," said Phil Eide, Vice President, Enterprise Corporation of the
Delta. "We do have a question that we posed with our attorney whether we
can turn down our mortgage loan based on a criminal background check."

Workers with the "Make It Right" project were unaware of Green's
offense and Pitt's staff hopes that incident will not deter people from
donating to the cause.

Meanwhile, Pitt's organization continues to accept donations on its
website, makeitrightnola.org. The project is not
limited to the ninth
ward and the more money they receive, the more houses they will build.