[StBernard] Landrieu Supports Revised Energy Bill

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Dec 14 23:18:37 EST 2007

Landrieu Supports Revised Energy Bill
New proposal makes "wise steps" without leaving Louisiana "footing the
bill."

WASHINGTON - United States Senator Mary L. Landrieu, D-La., tonight released
the following statement after voting for an energy bill that promotes
greater American energy independence and efficiency. The measure passed by
an overwhelming 86-to-8 margin.

Earlier today, Sen. Landrieu had cast the sole Democratic vote opposing a
proposal that would have left Louisiana industry footing the
multi-billion-dollar bill for the new policies. In an otherwise largely
party-line vote of 59-to-40, supporters of the legislation came just one
vote short of the 60 required to move forward.

Following this evening's vote, Sen. Landrieu said:

"Tonight the Senate passed the most comprehensive overhaul in years of the
nation's fuel economy standards and incentives for renewable fuels. These
are wise steps worth taking to move the United States closer to energy
independence, and I am proud to join the bipartisan consensus of 86 senators
supporting them.

"This package is a significant improvement over legislation we successfully
defeated this morning, which would have left Louisiana footing the bill for
the nation's progress. One-sided policymaking solves few problems, and
America's path forward depends on a comprehensive, balanced approach to
energy conservation and domestic production. We must invest in smart energy
solutions for the future, but not at the expense of the states that
strengthen our energy security today."

- 30 -