[StBernard] Times-Picayune Publishes LRA Chairman's Letter to the Editor

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Dec 18 22:15:43 EST 2007

Times-Picayune Publishes LRA Chairman's Letter to the Editor Regarding Congressman Clyburn's Support of Louisiana's Recovery Efforts

BATON ROUGE, La. (December 18, 2007) - The New Orleans Times-Picayune ran a letter to the editor today from Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA) Chairman Norman C. Francis, echoing the sentiments expressed in the editorial, "The kindness of strangers." The editorial thanked Congressman James Clyburn of South Carolina for his support of Louisiana's recovery efforts.

Dr. Francis' letter is below in its entirety, as is a link to the Times-Picayune editorial.

Grateful to a friend who understands our plight

To the Editor:

U.S. Rep. James Clyburn of South Carolina has been Louisiana's champion from the moment House Speaker Nancy Pelosi asked him to shepherd our request for more funding for the Road Home program. She picked the right man for the job. I have known him for a long time. I first met him 20 years ago when we worked together on voter education projects in the Southern region. I have witnessed first-hand, his dedication to this constitutional right and civic responsibility.

Some say he understands the frightening reality of devastating hurricanes because he represents a hurricane-prone state and had his own home damaged by Hurricane Hugo. Some say he understands human suffering firsthand because as a child his home burned down leaving his family with only the clothing on their backs. Whatever has led him to it, the Congressman Clyburn I know has always been a man of character who has demonstrated tenacity in standing up for what is right.

When it looked as if there would be a shortfall in the Road Home program, he stepped forward on behalf of the people of our state. And he has never been shy about speaking his mind, fighting for Louisiana's fair share of recovery funding.

I add my voice to the chorus of those who understand the magnitude of Congressman Clyburn's work on behalf of justice. And as the holiday season approaches and I take time to reflect on those things for which I am profoundly grateful, his dedication to ensuring that there will be a road home for thousands of Louisianians is surely one of them.

Norman C. Francis
Chairman, Louisiana Recovery Authority
New Orleans

To read Dr. Francis' letter to the editor visit: http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/letterstoeditor/index.ssf?/base/news-10/1197959752100120.xml&coll=1 <http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/letterstoeditor/index.ssf?/base/news-10/1197959752100120.xml&coll=1>

To read the Editorial from the Times-Picayune, "The kindness of strangers" visit: http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/editorials/index.ssf?/base/news-4/119683653378940.xml&coll=1 <http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/editorials/index.ssf?/base/news-4/119683653378940.xml&coll=1>

Hurricanes Katrina and Rita devastated South Louisiana, claiming 1,464 lives, destroying more than 200,000 homes and 18,000 businesses. The Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA) is the planning and coordinating body that was created in the aftermath of these storms by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco to lead one of the most extensive rebuilding efforts in the world. The LRA is a 33-member body which is coordinating across jurisdictions, supporting community recovery and resurgence, ensuring integrity and effectiveness, and planning for the recovery and rebuilding of Louisiana.

###