[StBernard] Rep. Baker announces over $20 million in funding for Baton Rouge area projects, criticizes Democrats for failing to support troops in the field

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Dec 18 22:39:59 EST 2007

The News from Congressman Richard H. Baker

Sixth District , Louisiana

Rep. Baker announces over $20 million in funding for Baton Rouge area projects, criticizes Democrats for failing to support troops in the field

WASHINGTON – U.S. Rep. Richard Baker, R-Baton Rouge, today announced $20.35 million for Baton Rouge area projects funded through the fiscal year 2008 Omnibus Appropriations bill, but criticized Democrats’ failure to provide critical funding for our troops in Iraq .

H.R. 2764, the "Department of State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs Appropriations Act for fiscal year 2008,” was amended on Monday night to include funding for the eleven appropriation bills not yet passed by Congress. While this bill includes over $20 million in projects secured by Rep. Baker, Democrats stripped funding for troops in Iraq . The 3,500-page Omnibus Appropriations bill was made public Sunday night, and a vote was held less than 24 hours after its release.

“The over $20 million included within this bill for the Baton Rouge area are all projects that I requested, and I am pleased that they have been included within the Omnibus appropriations bill,” stated Rep. Baker.

“However, this 3,500-page bill was made public less than 24 hours before being scheduled for a vote. For Members of Congress to spend over a half trillion dollars without the opportunity to review the full content of the bill is absurd,” Baker continued. “What I do know, however, is that this bill does not include critical funding for our troops, and I cannot support a policy that leaves these brave soldiers without the resources they need.”

H.R. 2764 passed the House of Representatives on Monday night by a 253-154 vote. The Baton Rouge area funding included in H.R. 2764 and secured by Rep. Baker includes the following:

* Louisiana State University Research Projects:

Blackbird Management- $100,293

Aquaculture- $243,285

Formosan Subteranean Termite research and extension- $3,716,799

Tillage, Silviculture, Waste Management- $368,403

Wetlands Plants- $415,074

Best Management Practices (BMP) and Master Farmer Special Research- $283,998

Alternative Energy Research - $984,000

* Pennington Biomedical Research Center :

Diet Nutrition and Obesity Research- $664,317

Human Nutrition Research- $526,290

* False River- $141,999

* Ascension Parish Sheriff’s Office, Law Enforcement Training Center (SARTA) - $325,000

* Comite River Diversion Canal- $7,872,000

* East Baton Rouge Parish Flood Control- $935,784

* Bayou Sorrel Lock- $1,263,456

* West Baton Rouge Parish Riverfront Development- $107,256

* East Baton Rouge Parish Metropolitan Geographic Information Systems- $453,624

* Livingston Parish Geographic Information Systems- $639,600

* Baton Rouge Harbor , Devil Swamp- $393,600

* Louisiana National Guard Job Challenge- $143,449

* Louisiana Arts and Sciences Museum- $191,593

* Louisiana Highway 16- $245,000

* Louisiana Highway 42- $245,000

* Iberville Parish Visitor Center- $98,000

-30-

For more news about Congressman Baker, please visit

www.baker.house.gov <http://www.baker.house.gov/>