[StBernard] Walter Leger Issues Statement on the Road Home Program Closing 90, 000 Homeowner Grants

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jan 1 17:05:21 EST 2008

Walter Leger Issues Statement on the Road Home Program Closing 90,000 Homeowner Grants

BATON ROUGE, La. (December 31, 2007) - Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA) Housing Task Force Chairman Walter Leger issued the following statement today regarding ICF International, the contractor running the Road Home program, meeting its contractual obligation to close 90,000 homeowner grants in 2007.

"Today, the Road Home program reached another critical milestone when it closed the last of more than 90,000 homeowner grants by the end of 2007. ICF International deserves recognition for its progress this year and for meeting this contractual obligation."

"I've been a frequent critic of ICF International and the LRA Board has been concerned about its pace and response to homeowners. But thanks to stringent performance measures, continued pressure from the LRA Housing Task Force and homeowner advocates, and hard work by the Office of Community Development's Disaster Recovery Unit, the Road Home is now moving forward at a good clip."

"After a slower start than expected, we are ending the year on a high note. More than 90,000 homeowners now have rebuilding cash in hand. And after the LRA, Governor Blanco, and our Congressional delegation successfully lobbied Congress for an additional $3 billion in funding, the Road Home program ends the year financially solvent."

"We will continue to work with the Office of Community Development to ensure ICF International's implementation of the Road Home program continues on pace in 2008. We must keep pressure for further use of strict performance measures with closing targets and financial penalties for the remainder of the program."

The LRA developed the Road Home program, which is administered by the Division of Administration Office of Community Development (OCD) through a contract with ICF International.

As of December 31, the Road Home held more than 90,000 closings, meeting its negotiated contractual performance measures. Through the program, Louisiana has paid more than $5.2 billion directly to homeowners who suffered housing loss because of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

Hurricanes Katrina and Rita devastated South Louisiana, claiming 1,464 lives, destroying more than 200,000 homes and 18,000 businesses. The Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA) is the planning and coordinating body that was created in the aftermath of these storms by Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco to lead one of the most extensive rebuilding efforts in the world. The LRA is a 33-member body which is coordinating across jurisdictions, supporting community recovery and resurgence, ensuring integrity and effectiveness, and planning for the recovery and rebuilding of Louisiana.

###