[StBernard] Crime in St. Bernard

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jan 2 18:42:57 EST 2008

Jer,

You are right, in that once you have been a victim of crime you are more
aware (a nice way of putting it) of everything. I remember as a kid walking
around thinking nothing could hurt me until I too was a victim. I don't know
exactly how to describe it except to say it's like having blinders on most
of your life and then waking up one day without them, there is a whole world
to watch out for that wasn't there before. I am more aware of people and
surroundings, I find myself being more protective of my kids, and I tend to
fear things in the dark that I once never knew were there. AND, it never
goes away, the fear. It lingers and for no reason at all it will sneak up on
you and grab your heart faster than a heartattack. Chad, what Jer speaks of-
his fear- is not something to be mocked. Until you have experienced it, you
have no idea. And on anoter note, since the storm we have had people cooking
drugs in our house, which started a fire and a camper stolen from in front
of the house- a 28ft trailer. There are neighbors on both sides and across
the street. 90% of the people (if not more)are in the neighborhood daily,
including a cop who lives 3 doors down- Farmsite Road- AND THESE THINGS
STILL HAPPENED. Count yourself lucky Chad.

Wendy H