[StBernard] Walter Leger Issues Statement on the Road Home Program Closing 90, 000 Homeowner Grants

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat Jan 5 23:38:27 EST 2008

Walter: As a fellow graduate, I know that you always speak the truth. I
would like to comment, however, on the LRA's performance during December. I
had three conversations with them about my 80 year old mothers claim, whose
home was destroyed. Since the only owners to the home were my Mother and
Father, then, because my Dad died without a will, the ownership was revised
50% to my mother and the other 50% divided among my two brothers and myself.
My brothers and I have indicated all along that 100% of any monies received
is for my mother. Each time I have called, I am told that the St. Bernard
Court House lost their records, so I went there and performed the title
search myself (with assistance). The only other items were a paid out loan
from SBA for Hurricane Betsy, for roughly $3,000. I firmly believe that had
we checked the block that we were going to rebuild her home, then we would
have long ago received her money, and then could have simply called the Road
Home, stated that she made a mistake, and then signed the lot in Arabi over
to them. I fax and telephone weekly, and as a 40 year Banker I know when
closing information is being prepared, so I certainly thought they my mother
would be resolved by year-end. I previously contacted Rep. Hutter, and her
office has attempted to intercede, but is receiving the same level of
service.

On a similar note, I accurately prepared and submitted documents on my
mother-in-laws property, after her death in February,2006. I have had two
follow-up face-to face meetings, and both times were told everything was in
order. Now I receive a letter instructing us to go through a succession to
determine rightful ownership. I faxed this information within fifteen
minutes, and pointed out that the information had been hand delivered during
our meeting in Chalmette. This makes me think that in order to achieve
their goals, some items were erroneously "flagged" and returned just to buy
additional time.

Finally, the Road Home program has no incentive to complete the program at a
particular date, such as when a highway contract is awarded. A date is
agreed upon and completion prior to that date provides a bonus; any delays
after the agreed upon completion date are met with fines. In the case of
the Road Home program, the longer they keep it going, the more money they
will make.

I, and everyone I knew had high hopes that the end of the year would bring
closings. After all, they are not accepting new applications and they have
all the money they requested from Congress. This program was a "reelection
effort" that blew up in Gov. Blanco's face. It it is not resolved quickly,
it will become a harness around Bobby Jindal, something we don't need as we
continue to recover.

Just my thoughts and my experience to date.

John F. Richardson
(504) 228-1542

Walter Leger Issues Statement on the Road Home Program Closing
90,000 Homeowner Grants

BATON ROUGE, La. (December 31, 2007) - Louisiana Recovery Authority
(LRA) Housing Task Force Chairman Walter Leger issued the following
statement today regarding ICF International, the contractor running the Road
Home program, meeting its contractual obligation to close 90,000 homeowner
grants in 2007.

"Today, the Road Home program reached another critical milestone
when it closed the last of more than 90,000 homeowner grants by the end of
2007. ICF International deserves recognition for its progress this year and
for meeting this contractual obligation."

"I've been a frequent critic of ICF International and the LRA Board
has been concerned about its pace and response to homeowners. But thanks to
stringent performance measures, continued pressure from the LRA Housing Task
Force and homeowner advocates, and hard work by the Office of Community
Development's Disaster Recovery Unit, the Road Home is now moving forward at
a good clip."

"After a slower start than expected, we are ending the year on a
high note. More than 90,000 homeowners now have rebuilding cash in hand. And
after the LRA, Governor Blanco, and our Congressional delegation
successfully lobbied Congress for an additional $3 billion in funding, the
Road Home program ends the year financially solvent."

"We will continue to work with the Office of Community Development
to ensure ICF International's implementation of the Road Home program
continues on pace in 2008. We must keep pressure for further use of strict
performance measures with closing targets and financial penalties for the
remainder of the program."

The LRA developed the Road Home program, which is administered by
the Division of Administration Office of Community Development (OCD) through
a contract with ICF International.

As of December 31, the Road Home held more than 90,000 closings,
meeting its negotiated contractual performance measures. Through the
program, Louisiana has paid more than $5.2 billion directly to homeowners
who suffered housing loss because of Hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

Hurricanes Katrina and Rita devastated South Louisiana, claiming
1,464 lives, destroying more than 200,000 homes and 18,000 businesses. The
Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA) is the planning and coordinating body
that was created in the aftermath of these storms by Governor Kathleen
Babineaux Blanco to lead one of the most extensive rebuilding efforts in the
world. The LRA is a 33-member body which is coordinating across
jurisdictions, supporting community recovery and resurgence, ensuring
integrity and effectiveness, and planning for the recovery and rebuilding of
Louisiana.

###