[StBernard] Governor Blanco declares "LSU Day"to celebrate Tigers' BCS victory

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jan 9 00:09:13 EST 2008

Governor Blanco declares "LSU Day" to celebrate Tigers' BCS victory

BATON ROUGE - To honor Louisiana State University and its victory Monday in the BCS National Championship, Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco proclaimed Wednesday, January 9, 2008 "LSU Day". The Tigers defeated the Ohio State Buckeyes 38-24 before a record crowd in the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans to clinch the national championship.

"The Tigers have made Louisiana proud today," said Governor Blanco. "The players, coaches and staff at LSU have embodied our state's fighting spirit. They have faced adversity, doubt and criticism from their foes, but their talent and tenacity have proven without question that they are the best team in the country. I encourage fans to join me in celebrating LSU Day by wearing purple and gold to show their pride in our Fighting Tigers!"

The Tigers finished the season 12-2, with their two losses coming in triple-overtime finishes against Kentucky and Arkansas. The national championship is LSU's third, following titles in 1958 and 2003. LSU is the first team to win two BCS championships.

Text of Governor Blanco's Proclamation:

WHEREAS, Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge, Louisiana's flagship university, has a long-established tradition of excellence; and

WHEREAS, The LSU Tigers football team has the distinction of winning the 1958 National Championship and the Bowl Championship Series National Championship in 2003; and

WHEREAS, Tigers players, coaches, and staff worked tirelessly throughout the season to earn the opportunity to represent Louisiana in the 2007 National Championship; and

WHEREAS, nearly 80,000 fans filled the Louisiana Superdome, setting a new record for attendance and cheering the Tigers on to victory; and

WHEREAS, the LSU Tigers resoundingly defeated the Ohio State University Buckeyes 38-24 in the 2007 BCS National Championship Game on January 7, 2008; and

WHEREAS, the LSU Tigers are now the 2007 National Champions, and the first team ever to win two BCS titles.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, Kathleen Babineaux Blanco, Governor of the State of Louisiana, do hereby proclaim Wednesday, January 9, 2008 as LSU DAY in the State of Louisiana.

/SIGNED/ Kathleen Babineaux Blanco

###