[StBernard] LRA Chairman Commends President Bush for Naming New Orleans as Host City for International Summit

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jan 28 23:55:51 EST 2008

LRA Chairman Commends President Bush for Naming
New Orleans as Host City for International Summit

NEW ORLEANS (Jan. 28, 2008) - Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA) Chairman Dr. Norman C. Francis issued the following statement regarding President George W. Bush's announcement that he will host an international summit of North American leaders from the United States, Canada and Mexico in New Orleans this April. President Bush made the announcement tonight during his last State of the Union address.

"This is an historic time for our city and state, a time of unprecedented hope and confidence in Louisiana's recovery. Tonight's announcement certainly sends that message, and underscores the fact that Louisiana is once again open for business.

"While much remains to be done, Louisiana has made significant recovery progress since the 2005 storms. Federal recovery funds are flowing, neighborhoods are re-awakening and the sound of hammers and construction can be heard throughout the most impacted areas of South Louisiana. Over the last two years, New Orleans has also played host to many large gatherings, conventions, music festivals and major sporting events since Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, including this year's BCS National Championship game, which brought tens of thousands of visitors to the Crescent City.

"I applaud President Bush for his commitment to the people of New Orleans and Louisiana. His pledge and support of federal dollars ensure that Louisiana's recovery will be successful. We are most grateful for this opportunity to highlight both our progress and our remaining needs to the nation and world."

Hurricanes Katrina and Rita devastated South Louisiana, claiming 1,464 lives, destroying more than 200,000 homes and 18,000 businesses. The Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA) is the planning and coordinating body that was created in the aftermath of these storms to lead one of the most extensive rebuilding efforts in the world. The LRA is a 33-member body which is coordinating across jurisdictions, supporting community recovery and resurgence, ensuring integrity and effectiveness, and planning for the recovery and rebuilding of Louisiana.

###