[StBernard] STATE AND FEDERAL OFFICIALS ANNOUNCE FUNDING FOR NEW ORLEANS FIRE STATIONS

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jan 29 19:11:14 EST 2008

STATE AND FEDERAL OFFICIALS ANNOUNCE FUNDING
FOR NEW ORLEANS FIRE STATIONS

Federal, state and local partners working together to expedite rebuilding projects

NEW ORLEANS - The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the state of Louisiana and the city of New Orleans are pleased to have provided nearly $16.9 million toward the rebuilding and repair of the New Orleans Fire Department. Of that, $3.1 million will go to rebuilding permanent facilities.

"FEMA knows the important role that these fire stations play in the recovery of New Orleans," FEMA's acting Associate Deputy Administrator for Gulf Coast Recovery Jim Stark said. "We are eager to continue working with state and city officials to ensure that these fire stations, and the entire infrastructure of the city, will be rebuilt."

FEMA, the state and the city have all worked together to accomplish a great deal in the recovery and rebuilding of New Orleans. The continued cooperation and efforts between these three entities will serve as the catalyst for the inevitable rebuilding of this city's fire stations.

The rebuilding process of these essential facilities is underway. The city has solicited services from architectural and engineering firms. These responses are now under review and contracts for all fire stations should be awarded within the coming weeks. As work progresses, FEMA will provide more funds should it be determined that they are necessary.

"Getting these fire stations rebuilt is an important step in the recovery process. It is important to ensuring that New Orleans fire fighters are prepared to respond to future emergencies, and it is yet another way that we can show New Orleanians and citizens around the country that we are making real, meaningful progress," said Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA) Executive Director Paul Rainwater. "As the city of New Orleans moves forward with its aggressive actions to rebuild the Crescent City, we are working together to synchronize federal, state and local efforts to streamline the reimbursement process and find other ways to help them in any way that we can."

"As a former deputy chief with the Los Angeles County Fire Department, I know first-hand how important these facilities are to the communities they serve and emergency response," said Mark Cooper, director of the Governor's Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness (GOHSEP). "Our commitment is to not only ensure that vital community services and infrastructure such as this are restored, but that the resources are there so that these facilities can be rebuilt as quickly and efficiently as possible."

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Hurricanes Katrina and Rita devastated South Louisiana, claiming 1,464 lives, destroying more than 200,000 homes and 18,000 businesses. The LRA is the planning and coordinating body that was created in the aftermath of these storms to lead one of the most extensive rebuilding efforts in the world. The LRA is a 33-member body which is coordinating across jurisdictions, supporting community recovery and resurgence, ensuring integrity and effectiveness, and planning for the recovery and rebuilding of Louisiana.

GOHSEP will ensure that the state is prepared to respond to, and recover from, all natural and man-made emergencies. This office will provide the leadership and support to reduce the loss of life and property through an all-hazards emergency management program of prevention, mitigation, preparedness, response and recovery.

###