[StBernard] Thieves hitting park facilities

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Wed Feb 13 17:41:56 EST 2008

Thieves hitting park facilities
Wednesday, February 13, 2008St. Bernard bureau
After a spate of burglaries of St. Bernard Parish recreation department
facilities in recent weeks, parish officials are asking the public to
provide another set of eyes on the streets.

Dave Peralta, the parish's chief administrative officer, said thieves hit
several sites, including Vista Park in Chalmette. Stolen items include a
couple of portable air conditioners, a vacuum-like machine that dries gym
floors, a lawn mower and several mops and brooms.

The St. Bernard Parish Sheriff's Office has increased patrols around parish
recreation sites, Peralta said. But he and other officials have also asked
residents to watch for anything suspicious.

"We're soliciting their help," Peralta said. "If they see something
suspicious, call the Sheriff's Office or call us."

Peralta said locks were cut in some cases, but it appeared that the thieves
might have used keys in others. He said locks have been changed and only
essential people now have keys to the recreation sites.

"We're trying to beef up our Recreation Department," Peralta said. "This is
important."

Anyone with information about the burglaries can call Peralta's office at
(504) 278-4225, the Sheriff's Office at (504) 271-2501 or the crime hotline,
(504) 278-7799.