[StBernard] St. Bernard school system gets $500,000 donation

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Feb 28 13:48:52 EST 2008

St. Bernard school system gets $500,000 donation
by The Times-Picayune
Wednesday February 27, 2008, 2:09 PM
Entergy has given the St. Bernard Parish public school district a $500,000
contribution to help finance construction of the school district's Community
Learning Center.

The donation was made during a ceremony in Chalmette today.

"We are committed to St. Bernard Parish,'' said Renae Conley, Entergy
Louisiana president and chief executive officer.

The learning center is part of an ambitious school system plan to build a
giant new addition to Chalmette High School. The addition, which is being
built on the site of the old Lacoste Middle School across Judge Perez Drive
from Chalmette High, will house 9th graders and include state-of-the-art
labs, a fieldhouse, pool, library, theatre, dance and music studios and
meeting rooms. It will be attached to the current Chalmette High School by a
walkway over Judge Perez Drive.

The theatre, library and meeting rooms will also be available for public
use, school officials said.

In thanking the utility for the donation, St. Bernard Parish schools
Superintendent Doris Voitier noted that investing in the children of St.
Bernard Parish will "pay back a hundred fold.''

"We're thrilled. We're happy,'' Voitier said.