[StBernard] Petition of Murphy Oil USA for a zoning change

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Mar 5 21:59:17 EST 2008

St Bernard Parish Council and Parish President

Murphy Oil Meraux Refinery applied for a zoning change for it's expansion
onto Jacob Drive. How are safety and emergency issues addressed since Paul
Drive Firestation has never returned post Katrina and with Jacob Drive
Firestation and Murphy Oil refinery expansion landswap decisions still
pending? What is the Total Refinery Expansion Plan?

Safety Health and Welfare should be paramount in these decisions. It is
impossible to make any determinations without the total refinery expansion
plan, the total emergency response planning and worse case scenario response
plans and the Firestation Placement decision of the pending insurance
rating. Until that is made available, we ask that the ordinance for zoning
change not be introduced and not go forward for public notice. Additionally
we request that no variances, exemptions, permits or other items be
considered until this business's current noncompliant issues are addressed
both locally on municodes and ordinances (brought to the administrations
attention since April 2007 and recently reiterated) and on the state and
LDEQ/EPA statutes and regulation levels. There are also traffic and safety
issues related to incidents and arrests with refinery transient workers both
pre and post Katrina.

The expansion is inconsistent with the Federal Court Order Settlement. It is
inconsistent with Murphy's own attorney's statements in Federal Court
transcripts and in several council meetings and committee meetings
transcripts, where they state that the land is for a grassy greenspace. It
is inconsistent with the Parish master land use plan, recommended by
Citizens Recovery Commission, adopted by the parish council, and cited by
the planning commission when denying a land use change on Jacob Drive North.

It not only lowers the buffer but also places the next explosion closer to
our homes; closer to our schools; closer to our children. This refinery has
a horrible trackrecord with fires and explosions and a pattern of reckless
regard for health and safety. The parish in making this decision is making
the parish further liable for any event at the refinery that harms any
member of our community. As a community, we are neither ready nor prepared
to accept that liability.

We respectfully request this zoning change application not be introduced for
ordinance and not go forward for public notice.
SJK