[StBernard] LRA Executive Director Calls for Inspector General Investigation of ICF International Contract

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Mar 17 22:48:04 EDT 2008

LRA Executive Director Calls for Inspector General Investigation of ICF International Contract

BATON ROUGE, La. (March 17, 2008) - Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA) Executive Director Paul Rainwater today called for an investigation by the Louisiana Inspector General into the contract of ICF International, the private contractor that runs the Road Home program. ICF International received a $156 million raise in December.

Rainwater has previously called for an investigation by the Legislative Auditor into ICF's contract. LRA staff have already started meeting with the Legislative Auditor about the issue. Rainwater issued the following statement today about the IG's investigation:

"It's troubling that ICF International was given a pay raise in spite of their poor performance history and that it was done through a process that seemingly excluded the notification of the state legislature or the general public.

"Today, I have requested that State Inspector General Stephen Street join the legislative auditor in investigating how the amendment to the ICF contract was negotiated, what notification process, if any, occurred, and what our possible options are for renegotiating the contract."

"We owe it to the people of Louisiana, and especially those continuing to recover from the 2005 storms, to ensure that every taxpayer dollar is fully accounted for and dedicated toward its rightful purpose of aiding our state's recovery and rebuilding."

Hurricanes Katrina and Rita devastated South Louisiana, claiming 1,464 lives, destroying more than 200,000 homes and 18,000 businesses. The Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA) is the planning and coordinating body that was created in the aftermath of these storms to lead one of the most extensive rebuilding efforts in the world. The LRA is a 33-member body which is coordinating across jurisdictions, supporting community recovery and resurgence, ensuring integrity and effectiveness, and planning for the recovery and rebuilding of Louisiana.

###