[StBernard] Memories

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Mar 20 20:11:58 EDT 2008

"Old days, good times I remember", growing up in Austin, Chicago's version
of the 9th ward, ruined by the MLK riots. We too once had broad boulevards
and alleys where children would meet each night and play until sunset: Kick
the Can, HORSE, stickball and if someone had a transistor radio with the
Beatles; everything would stop and we'd DANCE! We would lay on the asphalt
rooftops and fall asleep to the sounds of the city in the summer, in the
city, in the summer, you know the song; hot time, isn't very pretty, but who
could afford air conditioning? There were no credit cards; everything was
earned and paid in cash. We had no give-aways; there is no free lunch in
Chicago; our slogan is "The City that Works". If we wanted to go see a
concert, we would stand in line at 4:00 a.m. to get tickets and then
drive to Soldier's Field freezing to death to watch the sunrise at 7:00 to
see da Stones, da Who, da Frampton, etc. Its fun to stroll down memory lane
but keep your eyes open and create the future. XOXO MsSimms