[StBernard] Jer

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sun Mar 23 08:43:50 EDT 2008

I also lived at 1243 St. Ferdinand St. (where I was an alter boy at Holy
Trinity and Our Lady Star of the Sea Church during my grade school years in
the mid 50's. In those days as a 4-5th grader I would have to get up at 5
then walk 6 blocks in the dark alone to serve mass.

All that "safety" is about gone now and adults wouldn't want to make that
trek (whether in New Orleans, for sure) or in da parish. I was very grown up
indeed in those days with that kind of positive independence and confidence.

I later moved to St. Rock and ultimately Port St (2200 blocks). Then
Jasmine, Eads, <smile> .. (looks like my father moved anytime that the rent
was due <chuckle>..

Then, the white flight began. People started moving to "higher safer ground"
in the late 50's.

--jer--