[StBernard] (no subject)

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Sun Mar 23 08:51:03 EDT 2008

On the Air: Rappers 'Salt-N-Pepa' in St. Bernard for rebuilding project
Posted by The Times-Picayune March 23, 2008 4:15AM
Categories: Living: Columnists
By Dave Walker
TV Columnist

Reality television has provided a second act for many a pop star, but kudos
to Cheryl James and Sandy Denton for attempting to inject a little reality
into their VH1 series.

Monday night at 9, "The Salt-N-Pepa Show" comes to St. Bernard Parish for a
glimpse of recovery down-and-dirty.

The episode was shot during Carnival. James and Denton rolled with Orpheus,
but not before pitching in on the rebuilding of Kimberly Jones' flood-ruined
home.

During the shoot, James (Salt) and Denton (Pepa) paused from their
insulation-and-Sheetrock work to chat about what they'd seen of the city so
far.

Nearby, their camera crew and a team of youthful recovery volunteers ate
lunch off of the hoods of cars and pickups.

The state of the city is "surprising," James said, "because it's America. In
other situations we can get it rebuilt. I know it could've been done faster,
so it just makes you confused about why it still looks this way."

"For me, it's about hearing the stories and learning about the situation,
and how it's gone on so long," Denton added. "I can't remember what street
it is, but looking under the bridge where all these families are living in
the tents. Just hearing all the different stories. We've been breaking down
every minute. It's just so sad."

"They're like the forgotten people, or something," James said. "You just
wonder why."

And you wonder at the strength of both the locals rebuilding their lives as
well as the strangers here to help.

The duo's New Orleans trip included visiting a family still living in a FEMA
trailer, an unfathomable circumstance to them so long after the storm.

"When I went in the trailer, as a mom, knowing how hectic it can be in my
house trying to get my kids ready for school ... and trying to function as a
family out of that trailer, just made us cry," James said. "It was like,
'How do you do this?' It's just sad, and it's disappointing. It makes you
disappointed in our government.

"At the same time, it also restores your hope in regular people. Regular,
everyday, working people. Young people who leave college and come down to
dedicate time to help others. So, on one hand you're just so confused and
disappointed; on the other hand, inspired by what people do to help.

"There's this (volunteer) kid Paul here. All he talks about is this is a
labor of love for him. He was supposed to be here a couple of months, and
it's a year and a half later. He's the site supervisor and he's still here,
and he is not playing. He is whipping Salt-N-Pepa's behind. We get to joking
and laughing and he's like, 'C'mon, girls. Kimberly Jones is waiting to get
in her home.'"

Considered female trailblazers in the boy-centric world of hip-hop,
Salt-N-Pepa had huge hits with "Let's Talk About Sex," "Shoop," "Whatta Man"
and others.

At first, the restoration of their dissolved partnership was the primary
focus of their TV series. Subsequent episodes have been devoted to various
mutual life experiences (business stuff, party planning, home renovation, a
weight-loss boot camp, even a ski weekend), though one episode visited Jena,
La., at the height of the recent controversy there.

Their time in St. Bernard Parish offered them the opportunity to test their
admittedly limited handywoman skills.

"I paint a lot," James said. "I like to do my own painting in my house. As
far as screws and nails and power tools and insulation and Sheetrock, never.
I've never done it. But what I realize is that when somebody breaks it down
to you, it isn't rocket science. You're not like setting up the electrical
system. Once you get it, you get it. You get into a groove and have a
rhythm.

"I understand why guys like power tools. It makes you feel powerful."

Also empowering: the resolve of the volunteers working beside them.

"Their spirit is alive," Denton said.

"It's purposeful work," James added. "Money has a purpose, but it's beyond
money for (the volunteers helping) someone who's been through something like
that. It motivates you."

TV columnist Dave Walker can be reached at dwalker at timespicayune.com or
(504) 826-3429.

'THE SALT-N-PEPA SHOW'
What: Singers Cheryl James and Sandy Denton help rebuild a flood-damaged
home in an episode of their reality TV series.
When: Monday, 9 p.m. VH1