[StBernard] Landrieu Comments on HUD Secretary Jackson's Resignation

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Mar 31 23:38:53 EDT 2008

Landrieu Comments on HUD Secretary Jackson's Resignation

WASHINGTON - United States Senator Mary L. Landrieu, D-La., today made the
following statement regarding the resignation of Department of Housing and
Urban Development (HUD) Secretary Alphonso R. Jackson.

Sen. Landrieu said:

"When Secretary Jackson started his term, it started out with much promise.
Soon into the aftermath of hurricanes Katrina and Rita, it unfortunately
became apparent that any innovative, aggressive strategy to rebuild
affordable housing along the Gulf Coast, which is HUD's primary role in the
region, would have to come from outside the Department rather than from
within.

"It has been a constant struggle to move this Department in the right
direction. Its shortcomings are not only on the shoulders of Secretary
Jackson, but it is an unfortunate part of the legacy he has left in
Washington.

"Unfortunately, I do not think we will see much change until we have a new
president and new HUD leadership that will focus on replacing the
dilapidated, barracks-style public housing of the past and make a fresh
commitment to smartly-designed, mixed-income communities that serve the
needs of the expanding workforce. I will continue working with state and
local officials, including the city council and mayor, to ensure that the
federal government is responsive to their needs."

- 30 -