[StBernard] Landrieu Urges NASA to Keep Michoud Jobs

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Apr 3 09:23:38 EDT 2008

Landrieu Urges NASA to Keep Michoud Jobs

WASHINGTON - United States Senator Mary L. Landrieu, D-La., today urged the
National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) to help mitigate the
potential loss of jobs at the Michoud Assembly Facility in New Orleans East.
NASA yesterday released a report with estimates of job losses from its plan
to retire the space shuttle in favor of the Constellation Program in 2010.
The report indicated Michoud could lose 1,300 jobs over the next five years.

"It seems another storm lies on the horizon for Michoud," said Sen.
Landrieu, a Senate Appropriations Committee member, in a letter to NASA
Administrator Michael Griffin.

"I would like to request your continued cooperation to help mitigate
significant workforce disruptions at our Michoud facility."

Sen. Landrieu requested a meeting with Administrator Griffin no later than
April 18 to discuss ways to maintain employment until the Constellation
Program is underway. Possibilities Sen. Landrieu suggested included allowing
additional private companies and other government agencies to lease
production space onsite. The state of Louisiana is also investing $1.2
million in a new building and state-of-the art manufacturing equipment at
Michoud, which Sen. Landrieu said could help further recruit other
industries to the facility.

Sen. Landrieu also suggested that NASA consider other ways to use Michoud
for the agency's manufacturing needs.

"I would like to work with NASA and Governor Jindal to provide necessary
resources to recruit additional industry, which could serve as 'bridge'
employment until the Ares program ramps up," Sen. Landrieu wrote.

The letter was also sent to Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal and
United States Senator Barbara Mikulski, Chairman of the Senate
Appropriations Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, and Science, which funds
NASA.

A full copy of the letter is available here
<http://landrieu-press.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&g
piv=1999906108.1205.85&gen=1&mailing_linkid=175> .