[StBernard] What's in a definition

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Thu Apr 17 19:35:44 EDT 2008

{{ Where there are houses, there will be sidewalks. Where there are complete
blocks that have been purchased and will be used as that green space in the
buffer zone, those sidewalks needed to be removed for the maintenance of that
property.}} ....

When St Bernard Parish Attorney appeared before the council on March 6, 2007, he speaks of the agreement between Murphy Oil and SBPG to remove sidewalks in exchange for a hold harmless agreement with Murphy Oil. When asked by the councilwoman if what they had decided with regards to the street lights, he states that the "street lights will remain because people still live there so it will not be a total greenspace." Those quotes are on the dvd to the March 6, 2007 meeting if you would like to view it. . The Resolution to remove the sidewalks { http://sbpg.net/2007resolutions.pdf <http://sbpg.net/2007resolutions.pdf> page 2 }

March 6, 2007 continued

K228 Authorize Murphy Oil USA, Inc. to remove sidewalks, driveways, aprons and other items (trees, shrubbery, etc.) which lie between property lines and curbs on Jacob, Despaux, Ventura and Lena between 20 Arpent Canal & St. Bernard Highway. ...
WHEREAS, in order to provide an orderly and safe manner for the removal of these structures and the future maintenance of the area by Murphy...,

Our recently retired honorable chairman assured residents discussions with Murphy were always for greenspace and most specifically the request to remove our sidewalks was for easy maintenance of the grassy area.

In the Federal Court Fairness hearing on January 4, 2007 Murphy defense attorney stated what the buyout property would be used for. It is this green zone for which the judge entered his order and reasons that ....... ...
The intent of the buyout program is thus to create a buffer zone
between the Murphy Oil refinery and the community and remove the most heavily contaminated
properties from residential use.

>From the associated press January 4, 2007 http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/01/04/america/NA_GEN_US_Katrina_Murphy_Oil.phpKerry <http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/01/04/america/NA_GEN_US_Katrina_Murphy_Oil.phpKerry>

Miller, a Murphy lawyer, said the area would be turned into a "green zone" to buffer the refinery from neighborhoods.

Times-Picayune (New Orleans)January 5, 2007 FridaySECTION: METRO; Pg. 1HEADLINE: Judge favors settlement in St. Bernard oil spill; Governor at hearing to back residentsBYLINE: By Susan Finch, Staff writer

Murphy attorney Kerry Miller said the buyout price reflects "the absolute top end of the range of real estate sales in St. Bernard" since Hurricane Katrina. Murphy wants to use the purchased property to create a buffer zone of green space between its refinery and residents.