[StBernard] Landrieu Urges Immediate Embargo of Processed Shrimp From Thailand and Bangladesh

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Apr 25 07:35:19 EDT 2008

Landrieu Urges Immediate Embargo of Processed Shrimp From Thailand and
Bangladesh New report alleges labor abuses and unsanitary conditions in
these countries.

WASHINGTON - United States Senator Mary Landrieu, D-La., today sent a letter
to President Bush urging him to immediately embargo imports of processed
shrimp from Thailand and Bangladesh. Her concern is based on new claims that
shrimp industry workers in Southeast Asia suffer gross labor abuses and
unsanitary conditions that could jeopardize the health of American
consumers.

"Shrimp is a $13 billion global industry with the U.S. importing over $4
billion worth," Sen. Landrieu wrote in the letter. "As such, our country
plays a critical role in driving demand. In an attempt to undercut our
domestic shrimpers, processing plants in these two countries are alleged to
use grossly inadequate food safety, environmental and labor standards. If
these reports are true, we are jeopardizing the health and safety of
Americans, and harming our own law-abiding domestic producers."

The report was released by the Solidarity Center, and titled "The
Degradation of Work: The True Cost of Shrimp." CNN further elaborated on the
sexual abuse, child labor, human trafficking and disgracefully low wages
that are claimed to be commonplace conditions for shrimp industry workers in
Thailand and Bangladesh.

"American consumers have the right to know if they are purchasing products
made in such appalling and unsafe conditions," the letter states. "Alone,
the food safety issues are enough to embargo imports due to the health and
safety concerns posed to all Americans. Those concerns, combined with the
disgraceful labor conditions used to supply our market, demand an immediate
prohibition against shrimp imports from these countries."

A full copy of the letter is available here
<http://landrieu-press.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&g
piv=1999902358.1073.1&gen=1&mailing_linkid=612> .