[StBernard] The Word from Washington: Help for Homeless Vets and College Students, and a Visit from the Pope

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Apr 28 13:02:27 EDT 2008

Spring is now in full bloom here in Washington and my staff and I are
working with renewed energy on the issues important to south Louisiana. We
have had an exciting few weeks, and I wanted to take a minute to share with
you just a few of the things that could positively affect our state.

Housing Grant to Benefit Homeless Veterans in Houma
On April 21, I had the opportunity to join officials from Houma's Coastal
Commerce Bank to award a $125,000

The grant will be used for toward the construction of a 12-unit transitional
housing facility where homeless veterans can receive aid and treatment while
getting back on their feet. The Start Corporation has also received more
than $400,000 from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for the project,
which is expected to begin construction in late summer.

South Louisiana has seen an increase in homeless veterans in the last few
years and with many of the services available to them affected by Hurricane
Katrina, many of their needs are not currently being met.

The Start Corporation provides mental health and housing services and has
secured funding in the past to build affordable single family housing
projects in the Houma/Terrebonne community. This is the Start Corporation's
first project focusing on helping homeless veterans.

America's veterans have already sacrificed so much to protect our freedoms,
and I believe it's tragic that some of these heroes now face homelessness.
After all they have given to our country, I am proud that we have the
opportunity to repay some of the debt by giving those who are struggling a
helping hand. The Start Corporation and their benefactors at the Federal
Home Loan Bank of Dallas are working diligently to help homeless veterans
and I am proud to give them my support.

Protecting Student Loans from the Credit Crisis
Last week, I voted in support of a bill that would make sure students in
south Louisiana will continue to have access to low interest federal student
loans to pay for college, no matter what the credit climate is like. Many
families in south Louisiana are looking to their mailboxes this season for
college acceptance letters and are growing concerned over the availability
of college loans. Although the credit crisis has so far only affected the
availability of private student loans (not federal), this bill should still
relieve a great deal of anxiety for students who depend on financial aid to
pay for their higher education.

The Ensuring Continued Access to Student Loans Act, which passed the House
of Representatives on April 17, would make sure that low interest federal
loans will continue to be available to the nation's college students no
matter what turmoil the credit market may be in. The bill allows the federal
government to back up federal loans should the private lenders involved in
those guaranteed loans come on hard times and decide to limit the amount
they are willing to lend. For students and families looking for ways to pay
for college, this legislation ensures they can count on the availability of
federal loans.

To keep pace with the rising cost of college tuition, this bill would
increase by $2,000 the annual federal loan limits for undergraduate
students. Additionally, the amount students can borrow over the course of
their undergraduate education would be increased to $31,000. These changes
are intended to keep students from having to turn to high interest private
student loans and make them less susceptible to changes in the credit
market. The bill will also make sure short-term delinquencies on mortgage
loans do not prohibit borrowers from receiving these guaranteed federal
loans.

Students who are willing to work hard should have every opportunity to earn
a college degree, and I am proud to support them by voting for this
legislation

Papal Visit to the U.S.
Last week, I was also blessed with the opportunity to participate in a White
House ceremony welcoming Pope Benedict XVI on his first visit to United
States. Seeing the pope in person is a rare and exciting event, and I am
reminded of how important a figure the pope is to me and to the hundreds of
thousands of faithful Catholics in south Louisiana. Welcoming His Holiness
to the capital of our great nation on behalf of them is something I will
never forget.

In closing, allow me to say again what a privilege it is to serve as your
representative in Congress, and I will continue to fight to improve our
communities in south Louisiana. I am here to serve you, so please don't
hesitate to call my office in Washington, or one of my four offices in
Louisiana, if there is anything I can help you with or if you want to share
your opinion on upcoming issues in Congress

If you would like to share your opinion about an upcoming issue in Congress,
please write, email, or call my office in Washington. My role is to serve
as your voice in Washington and represent your values when I vote, and I
greatly appreciate hearing your comments and recommendations. Thank you for
making south Louisiana an even better place to live!

Regards,

Charlie Melancon