[StBernard] Landrieu Announces $5.3M For Coastal Restoration Project in Plaquemines Parish

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Apr 30 22:34:44 EDT 2008

Landrieu Announces $5.3M For Coastal Restoration Project in Plaquemines
Parish
Funds will construct a beach and marsh platform.

WASHINGTON - United States Senator Mary Landrieu, D-La., today announced
that $5,325,152 in federal funds will be directed toward the construction of
a beach and marsh platform along Bay Joe Wise in Plaquemines Parish, La. The
project on the bay's northern Gulf of Mexico shoreline is an example of the
crucial efforts statewide to restore Louisiana's coast.

"These funds move Louisiana one step closer to ensuring that our coastline
will once again be vibrant and healthy," Sen. Landrieu said. "We absolutely
must reverse coastal erosion to ensure that Louisiana has a natural defense
against storm surges and that our wetlands can provide the habitat that is
necessary to support critical wildlife. I will continue to fight for the
coastal restoration and protection of Plaquemines Parish and all of
Louisiana's coastal communities."

Plaquemines Parish President Billy Nungesser said that since Hurricanes
Katrina and Rita, many of the parishes' long-standing plans for marsh
creation had to be expanded to include more substantial protection that
would be able to shoulder the brunt of another massive storm. Some portion
of these improvements will be paid for with a share of offshore oil revenue
funds - which Sen. Landrieu fought successfully to secure for the state in
2006.

"We are extremely excited that some of these projects that have
been planned for so many years are starting to materialize," Nungesser said.

- 30 -