[StBernard] Parish still looks horrable almost 3 years later

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon May 19 19:58:32 EDT 2008

SJK

Unfortunately, I don't think the rental ordinance is going to stand.
Owners of property are challenging it in court and I think they will win.
I'm not saying I want them to win, I'm just saying I don't think the parish
will be able to tell owners that they cannot rent their property. I think a
judge has already ruled that cannot be done and issued a restraining order
against the parish. I think the parish will lose this one and have to pay
damages, just like the blood relative rule that was tried. The problem is
the progress in the parish is just too slow plain and simple. I know people
are not taking care of their property, and that is their responsibility but
they just are not doing it. The rules in place to force this issue are long
and slow. The parish is still a mess and we just keep waiting for it to get
better. The latest estimate I heard is 15 years before the parish will be
back to somewhat normal. That is the rest of some people's lives and just
too long. I thought I would see more improvement in the condition of the
streets by now. Anyone ever drive over Jean Lafitte? It's ridiculous after
all this time. Some streets are worse and impossible to use. I love St.
Bernard and I won't abandon it completely. My ties there are strong and my
work there not complete. I don't think it will ever be complete in my
lifetime. It's so discouraging. We are tired of the reasons and excuses,
we just want it done.

Laurie

> Wishing you and your family the best regards with the decisions you made

in

> their best interests. Your opinion is one of someone who decided to sell

> and move on. May I ask, did you relocate outside of St Bernard Parish?

> Let's not have sour grapes in these discussions or bash others decisions

as

> a way to justify our own.

> Some people purchase houses assuming they will resell one day. Others

> purchase houses for their lifetime. That's how my late husband and I

> purchased our house. It is in a quite, safe and peaceful neighborhood,

> safely located in good school districts, convenient to work and church,

and

> a great backyard with rear access for the boat. Oh yeah, the grandparents

> were right around the corner and most of the neighbors had purchased their

> parents home or near their parents home, too. So the very family oriented

> owner occupied single family dwellings of working class people was quite

> appealing to us so to raise our children.

> Its a neighborhood worth fighting for.

> Our community is changing for good but that's not to say that its not

> changing for the better. I'd like to know more about how half your block

> can be section 8 because the rental ordinance seems to limit that type of

> density of rentals and it was my understanding that the parish is not

> administrating any more section 8 than before the storm.

> LRA properties are being demolished and slabs removed and not only will

the

> aesthetics soon improve, but with the lot next door purchase program of

> LRA properties we will see these nice big (or not so big) revitalized

houses

> with even larger lot sizes. This will greatly add to the quality of life

in