[StBernard] Raise for St. Bernard president proposed

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue May 20 23:35:03 EDT 2008

I agree John. Craig talked in his campaign about what a sacrifice it would
be for he and his family if he won this office. He knew what his salary
would be. He was willing to make that sacrifice. This smells that he knew
something we didn't know. It doesn't seem right, especially with facing the
fact that the parish is almost broke and looking to cut services. The rules
should not be changed in the middle of things. Lets wait and see if Craig
lives up to what he said he would do for the parish and see if a raise is
warranted. It's a hard, thankless job and he knew that going in. It's too
soon for a raise without significant progress and we haven't seen that yet.

Laurie

> Any raise in salary should not take affect until after the next election

in

> 2011. I have always been strongly opposed to any current sitting

government

> raising its own pay for its legislators or chief executive. In fact, about

> 10 years ago the most recent amendment to the U.S. Constitution reads

> precisely that way...no sitting Congress shall be able to raise its own

pay.

> Craig and every member of the council knew what the salary was prior to

> running for the job. Raising the salary now is like changing the rules in

> your favor while in the middle of playing the game. Propose this to go

into