[StBernard] Keep junk science out of Louisiana courtrooms

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jun 10 17:54:57 EDT 2008

LEGISLATIVE UPDATE:
Bill to End "Junk Science" Passes Senate, Heads to House

A few weeks ago, we emailed you about a bill in the Louisiana Senate (S.B.
308) that would help eliminate "junk science" in Louisiana courtrooms.

We are happy to report that bill successfully passed the Senate and will now
be voted on in the House.

This bill includes common sense principles, such as requiring that only
scientific experts serve as witnesses on complicated technical/scientific
issues, and requires a judge to give a written reason for qualifying or
disqualifying an expert witness or methodology.

There's nothing groundbreaking in this bill. It's simple common sense. And
it's what Louisiana judges should have been doing all along.

In fact, it's v ery similar to laws that already have passed in Georgia,
Mississippi and Michigan -- and mirrors standards that are already present
in federal courts.

Common Sense Bill Would Help Fix Louisiana's Broken Legal System

This bill would go a long way toward fixing Louisiana's troubled legal
system, which recently ranked second-to-last in the country in a recent
Harris survey. In fact, that study ranked Louisiana dead last in the use of
scientific and technical evidence -- a ranking that this bill is sure to
fix.

By keeping "junk science" out of Louisiana courtrooms, you can help make
sure our lawsuit system doesn't scare away well-paying jobs.

Call or Write Your State Representative

We've passed the first step -- the State Senate.

Now we need your help to pass this bill in the House.

You can help make that happen by calling or writing your state
representative. <http://list1.ilrmail.org/t/139609/3396 8227/1758/0/>

Tell him or her that you want them to VOTE FOR S.B. 308 -- the common sense
bill to remove junk science from Louisiana courtrooms.

The Institute for Legal Reform is an advocacy group working to end lawsuit
abuse. ILR is a national campaign of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, with the
critical mission of making America's legal system simpler, faster, and
fairer for everyone.

<http://www.ilrinfo.org/email/images/margin-2.gif>
<http://www.ilrinfo.org/email/images/margin-3.gif>

Sign Our Petition <http://list1.ilrmail.org/t/139609/33968227/60/0/>

Forward to a Friend <http://list1.ilrmail.org/t/139609/33968227/1759/0/>

Get Involved <http://list1.ilrmail.org/t/139609/33968227/735/0/>

About ILR <http://list1.ilrmail.org/t/139609/33968227/39/0/>

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

"We can take steps to rein in excessive and abusive litigation. The costs of
inaction are simply too great."

Thomas J. Donohue
President and CEO
U.S. Chamber of Commerce