[StBernard] EPA meeting

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jun 11 21:58:35 EDT 2008

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for all the complications. Here is the final version and it stays the
same day and time.

Verna

I am writing to let you know that EPA is has scheduled public meetings for
Wednesday June 11 at 7:00 PM and Saturday June 14 at 3:00 PM at the St.
Bernard Parish offices. These meetings are about EPA's plan to test an "air
curtain destructor" at the Paris landfill. Please see the EPA notice below.

Until recently, EPA had intended this test to include an effort to grind and
burn regulated asbestos containing material (known as "RACM"). The U.S.
Department of Justice told us today, however, that "At the meeting on
Wednesday, EPA will notify the public that the agency does not plan to go
forward with the RACM burn/grind as part of the test." However, EPA is
still considering going forward with a test grind and burn of "vegetative
waste" and construction & demolition debris waste (e.g., debris from wrecked
houses) sometime after June 23rd.

These meetings are an opportunity for you to find out about (and let EPA
know your opinion about) these experiments that the agency is considering
conducting in your community. Please give me a call at 214.665.8056 at your
convenience if you have questions or concerns. Many thanks.

lacy smith

lacy smith

Student Attorney

Tulane Environmental Law Clinic

EPA NOTICE

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) will hold public meetings

to provide information on EPA's Disaster Debris Reduction Pilot Project.

The briefings will be held on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 at 7:00 PM and

Saturday, June 14, 2008 at 3:00 PM at the St. Bernard Parish Council

Trailer located at 8201 W. Judge Perez Dr. Chalmette, LA 70043. EPA

Office of Research and Development, EPA Region 6, and the Louisiana

Department of Environmental Quality will provide information and answer

questions about the upcoming project to study alternative methods for

debris reduction following a natural disaster.

We will announce during the meeting that we are interested in receiving

comments on the project. We would like all comments to be submitted by

COB on June 17. At the meeting we will announce where to send the

comments. We plan to implement as many of the comments as we can and

hope to start the test on June 24.