[StBernard] E-Update From Senator David Vitter

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jun 11 22:09:54 EDT 2008

IN THIS ISSUE

PREPARING FOR HURRICANE SEASON
TALKING WITH CONSTITUENTS AT TOWN HALL MEETINGS
VISITING OUR SOLDIERS AT FT. POLK
PROTECTING AMERICAN JOBS AND WORKING TO KEEP ENERGY COSTS DOWN

With many important issues hitting the floor before the U.S. Senate adjourns
for a recess working period in the state, July has been packed with progress
for Louisiana and our country. On a state level, a top priority of mine has
always been to get Louisiana the royalties from our oil and gas production
in the Gulf of Mexico that we deserve, and finally we are making progress.
Nationally, I am proud that an amendment I authored regarding the
reimportation of prescription drugs recently passed in the U.S. Senate.

While such progressive actions are taking place here in Washington, it is
important that we also continually work to correct problems uncovered by
Hurricanes Katrina and Rita at home. I am working hard to reform the Corps
of Engineers to better protect our cities and citizens in the future, and I
am committed to protecting our right to legally carry firearms - even in a
state of emergency. As we move deeper into this year's hurricane season, we
are working to protect Louisiana and its residents from harm.

David Vitter

P.S. - Please feel free to forward the newsletter to your friends, neighbors
and business associates, and encourage them to sign up for their own copy by
visiting my Web site at http://vitter.senate.gov/.

PREPARING FOR HURRICANE SEASON

June 1 marked the beginning of another hurricane season, and we as
Louisianans are intently aware of how damaging such storms can be. It is
important we all take the necessary steps to prepare ourselves for the
hurricane season and ensure sure that our families are ready to face the
challenges that hurricane season brings.

For those in coastal and other vulnerable areas, deciding if you will
evacuate is a decision you may have to make during hurricane season, so it
is important to have an evacuation plan in place. The National Hurricane
Center recommends deciding ahead of time where you are going to evacuate and
having an out-of-state friend or family member as a contact, so everyone has
a single point of contact. For those who live inland or in north Louisiana,
you may wind up opening your homes to friends and family who need your help
during a disaster.

The National Hurricane Center provides hurricane preparedness tips
<http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/HAW2/english/intro.shtml> to help ensure the
safety of you and your family. Please plan ahead for your family's safety
and encourage your neighbors to do the same. I urge you to take hurricane
watches and warnings seriously and encourage you and your family to begin
your preparations today.

TALKING WITH CONSTITUENTS AT TOWN HALL MEETINGS

I spent part of May traveling throughout the state, holding town hall
meetings to speak with local citizens and hear their opinions and concerns
on the issues most important to them. Town hall meetings are a great way to
stay in touch and to let Louisianans know what's going on in Congress and
update them on my recent work in Washington, DC.

Each Congress, I hold town hall meetings in all 64 parishes, and during this
most recent trip, I met with constituents in St. James, West Baton Rouge,
St. Martin, Avoyelles, Evangeline, Vernon, DeSoto, Bienville, Tangipahoa and
Livingston parishes. I look forward to visiting with more of you soon.

VISITING OUR SOLDIERS AT FT. POLK

In late May, I visited the Warrior Transition Unit at Ft. Polk
<http://vitter.senate.gov/?module=PressRoom/PressItem&ID=50097e75-7e5e-4506-
b918-65a5cffb7b08> . This unit will be one of 32 units established at major
installations to streamline care for wounded soldiers. While touring the
unit, I also visited with 20 members of the 7th Chemical Company, which
recently returned from Iraq.

Our brave Louisiana men and women who serve in our Armed Forces continue to
impress me with their dedication, professionalism and patriotism and our
injured soldiers will benefit greatly from these new transition units, which
provide greater coordination in recovery, care and housing.

PROTECTING AMERICAN JOBS AND WORKING TO KEEP ENERGY COSTS DOWN

This past week, I spoke on the U.S. Senate floor about my concerns with the
proposed climate change bill
<http://www.cq.com/floorvideo/play.do?id=fc8eb356ef9ef0aef6d01f89c4815f3262b
8ebe1fb358cd753d4c05652d04b0d567c90f3a5081bd5a91b49b2b0586cbbc85a7bb574441b8
d4ada8e29e726ba426387b66d1ad7ee31> currently being considered by the
Senate. Research suggests that the bill will result in increased gasoline,
energy and electricity prices, and I felt it important to highlight about
the negative impact of these already inflated costs on America. The Energy
Information Administration estimates that the climate change bill will
result in an additional increase in gas prices of between 41 cents and $1.01
per gallon over today's costs, with electricity prices estimated to grow by
44 percent by 2030. This is simply not acceptable.

American families are currently faced with the twin difficulties of rising
gas and food costs. Yet even as we struggle with these concerns, the Senate
debated a bill that would bring about the loss of millions of American jobs
to China and India. The higher energy prices caused by this legislation
will ultimately force U.S. companies to move their manufacturing bases
overseas, and that is simply not something that we need.

I was glad to see the Senate defeat this bill. Any future climate change
legislation, if it is intended to make positive changes, must include
policies that lessen our dependence on foreign sources of energy, allow for
clean energy solutions and - most important - protect American families,
jobs and businesses.