[StBernard] Chalmette resident to help lead school

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Jun 12 17:06:56 EDT 2008

Chalmette resident to help lead school
Gauthier appoints assistant principal Thursday, June 12, 2008By Annette
Campo
Chalmette resident Shellie Hilton said, "Someone once told me that 'you miss
100 percent of the shots you don't take. To accomplish any goal one has to
start with the decision to try.' "

Hilton, 27, was recently named the new assistant principal at J.F. Gauthier
Elementary School. Hilton has been an educator in the St. Bernard Parish
public school system for five years.

"I actually found out that I had the job as I was watching the (school
board) meeting on TV with a friend of mine," Hilton said. "Our chins dropped
and I was speechless."

Hilton applied for the administrative position under much "coercion" because
she wasn't sure she wanted to leave the classroom. And she believed her age
and lack of years in the school system would hold her back.

"There is a totally different relationship with the students in the
classroom," she said, "but once I applied, I knew that I would still make a
difference in the lives of children, just in a different way."

Hilton knew she wanted to eventually work in administration, so she recently
completed a masters program consisting of a group of about 25 teachers from
different parishes.

"When I entered, the cohort I did it with thought that 15 or 20 years from
now I could move up to a supervisor or central office position," she said.
"I never thought I would get into administration this quickly. But as the
need for leaders grew in the parish, my intent to be one also grew."

Starting out at Gauthier Elementary before the storm, Hilton is excited to
be going back "home."

"Although there have been many changes there since the storm there is still
a wonderful faculty and outstanding students who I am looking forward to
working with," she said. "But at the same time I am sad that I will be
leaving the faculty and staff that I had grown so close to over the past two
years at Andrew Jackson."

Hilton knew shortly after the storm that she wanted to return to teach and
live in St. Bernard Parish.

"From the moment the storm hit I knew I wanted to be back here despite what
anyone told me," she said. "My mom dragged me to other job fairs and
interviews. I would go into them hoping that I wouldn't get hired. I
couldn't bring myself to work anywhere else."

Hilton made it back to the parish as soon as they started hiring teachers,
without friends, or family at the time.

She is excited about the opportunity to influence so many teachers and
students as assistant principal.

"I know there is a wealth of knowledge out there regarding my position that
no college course or professional development could provide me with," she
said. "I think my interaction with other leaders and the experiences that I
encounter will provide me with more knowledge than I expect."

Congratulations, Shellie Hilton. Shine On!

Annette Campo lives in Chalmette and writes about people and events in
Chalmette. She can be reached at (504)250-6248 or Chalnettie at gmail.com.