[StBernard] FEMA Provides Wherewithal For Rebirth Of St. Mary's Academy

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jun 16 22:46:12 EDT 2008

FEMA Provides Wherewithal For Rebirth Of St. Mary's Academy
Agency's Role Considered "Miraculous"

New Orleans, La (June 16, 2008) - Looking forward to a full recovery of St. Mary's Academy in New Orleans East, school officials held a demolition ceremony today to mark the beginning of the rebuilding phase of the historic institution.

The effort, which showcased the demolition of St. Mary's main building, will open the way to a new permanent facility that will consolidate the nine school structures damaged by Hurricane Katrina into one building and a bus garage.

"This event is a significant step in the recuperation of St. Mary's Academy," said Jim Stark, acting associate deputy administrator for the Federal Emergency Management Agency's (FEMA) Gulf Coast Recovery Office. "Students of this historic institution continue to witness the rebirth of their school, and we are happy to be part of this new evolving chapter in St. Mary's history."

"We are proud to be part of the partnership that will lead to the rebirth of St. Mary's Academy, which strives to educate many of the young women who will lead this community into the future," said Paul Rainwater, Executive Director of the Louisiana Recovery Authority. "Today's demolition is a big first step to bringing the students of the academy back to their home campus."

Almost two years after Hurricane Katrina ravaged the campus of St. Mary's Academy, the school reopened for the 2007-08 school year on its own empty land adjacent to the original school's campus on Chef Menteur Highway. Since then, it continues to conduct operations for up to 750 students in 43 modular units funded by a $10.1 million FEMA grant.

FEMA obligated $23.9 million for the school's permanent building, which is currently in the planning stages. When project funds are obligated by FEMA through its supplemental Public Assistance grant, the funds are transferred to a federal Smartlink account. Once the funds have reached this account, the applicant can request reimbursement from the Governor's Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness (GOHSEP) for eligible work completed. Obligated funds may change over time as the project is a living grant that is often adjusted as bids come in and scope of work is aligned.

"St. Mary's groundbreaking is a positive step in the recovery of the City of New Orleans and is a symbol to the people of New Orleans that the City will be back better and stronger. The Sisters of St. Mary are an example of what hard work and dogged determination can achieve in the wake of a catastrophic event, and their fortitude reflects the character of the people of New Orleans," said GOHSEP's Asst. Deputy Director of Disaster Recovery Mark S. Riley.

Founded in 1867 and run by the Sisters of the Holy Family, St. Mary's Academy was the first secondary school established for African American girls in New Orleans. The school was annihilated during Hurricane Katrina by almost five feet of standing water and strong winds.

"When we initially saw the damage, we were devastated and thought that Katrina had marked the end of our 138-year tradition," recalled Sister Jennie Jones, SSF, the principal of St. Mary's Academy. "Yet, we remained committed to our philosophy and mission of service to the community."

In need of a mainstay for students who returned after the storm, St. Mary's Academy officials joined MAX School, whose letters reflected the partnership between St. Mary's Academy, St. Augustine High School and Xavier University Preparatory High School. From January to May 2006, St. Mary's Academy operated from the Xavier facilities in Uptown.

In August 2006, academy students moved to a Gentilly building loaned by the Archdiocese of New Orleans, said Sister Jones. However, the facility needed major repairs and did not offer the adequate space to fully develop the school's educational program, she added.

"From then on, it was an act of faith on our part. We did not have enough flood insurance, and what we had also covered other institutions run by our community: a nursing home, two day care centers, a grammar school, apartments for the elderly poor," said Sister Clare of Assisi, SSF, vicar general of the Sisters of the Holy Family. "We did not have the money to repair St. Mary's Academy, but FEMA listened to our story and has been with us every step of the way. FEMA has done a miraculous job for us."

The Public Assistance program works with state and local officials to fund recovery measures and the rebuilding of government and certain private nonprofit organizations' buildings and recreation centers, as well as roads, bridges and water and sewer plants. In order for the process to be successful, federal, state and local partners coordinate to draw up project plans, fund these projects and oversee their completion.

FEMA coordinates the federal government's role in preparing for, preventing, mitigating the effects of, responding to, and recovering from all domestic disasters, whether natural or man-made, including acts of terror.

Hurricanes Katrina and Rita devastated South Louisiana, claiming 1,464 lives, destroying more than 200,000 homes and 18,000 businesses. The Louisiana Recovery Authority (LRA) is the planning and coordinating body that was created in the aftermath of these storms to lead one of the most ! extensive rebuilding efforts in the world. The LRA is a 33-member body which is coordinating across jurisdictions, supporting community recovery and resurgence, ensuring integrity and effectiveness, and planning for the recovery and rebuilding of Louisiana.

# # #