[StBernard] Seen on nola.com sbp forum

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Jun 24 08:54:53 EDT 2008

> Can't figure out one really good reason for the Sheriff's office to be

there.

For any possible handouts he can get or take? Snark. Just kidding.

There was a vigorous discussion over there trying to imply something shady
going on but I was guessing it had something to do with the bought-out
properties.

840

840,

I can't answer this authoritively, but let me give you my guess:

ST. BERNARD PARISH REDEVELOPMENT L.L.C

This is the company/government agency that takes title of properties
that
have been bought by the Road Home. Although it is, in essence, a
parish
government agency, therefore it is headed by the parish president,
for
liability reasons it is a separate entity. If something happens to
one of
the properties, you can't bankrupt the parish in a law suit.

ST. BERNARD NEW MARKETS, INC.

This is the non-profit arm of the above. This portion can accept
donations,
that can become tax-deductible for the donor. Again, as a
quasi-parish
government agency, it is headed by the parish president, but also
has a
member of the parish council and a Sheriff's Deputy as officials
also. (I
totally understand the council representation. Can't figure out one
really
good reason for the Sheriff's office to be there.)

Westley