[StBernard] Despite changes, educator is positive she still loves Arabi

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Thu Jun 26 08:45:54 EDT 2008

Despite changes, educator is positive she still loves Arabi
Thursday, June 26, 2008By Barry Lemoine
Cindy Meyer is a long-time educator, a newly-appointed reading coach, and my
neighbor, living on Angela Avenue in Arabi for the past 25 years. She said
that she and her family, husband Julin and daughter Alison, enjoy the
ambience of Old Arabi.

"We love the historic homes, and the quaint, unique neighborhood, where
neighbors watch out for each other. We have beautiful memories of walks to
the river, watching ships from the levee, and bike rides in the park-like
Barracks."

She said that since the storm, she is concerned about some change in the
neighborhood.

"We worry more now about the safety of the neighborhood because some, but
not all, neighbors have been able to return," she said. "We are concerned
that as people try to move back, in the most economical way, that the
historic elements of the neighborhood will be lost, or at least compromised.
And like most St. Bernard residents who worry about MRGO, we do, too."

But despite some of these uncertainties, Meyer said she was sure about one
thing -- she wanted to return to St. Bernard and resume her teaching career
that began over 28 year ago.

A product of the parish's public school system, Meyer said that she is
looking forward to helping educate and rebuild St. Bernard in her new
position, serving as a literacy and reading coach for Joseph Davies
Elementary School, which will reopen in August.

At Davies Meyer will focus her efforts on building literary awareness
through professional development with the faculty while instilling a
life-long love of reading with the students.

"As a reading coach, I hope to increase the level of literacy and to spread
the joy of reading to each and every student," she said. "It's a new
challenge, and I'm thankful for the opportunity."

Barry Lemoine is an Arabi resident who writes about people and events in
Arabi. He can be reached at (504) 301-8770 or barrybravo at yahoo.com.