[StBernard] Bipartisan Group of Senators Commit to Drafting Energy Legislation

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Sat Jun 28 00:00:33 EDT 2008

Bipartisan Group of

Senators Commit to Drafting Energy Legislation
Urge leadership of both parties to

hold energy summit following July 4.

WASHINGTON - A bipartisan group of 10 U.S. Senators, including Senator Mary
L. Landrieu, D-La., announced today they have committed to working together
on legislation to address the nation's energy crisis. The group sent a
letter to Majority Leader Reid and Republican Leader McConnell on Thursday
evening asking them to convene an energy summit to hear from unbiased
experts to assist them in moving forward in crafting the legislation. They
also believe an energy summit held shortly after the July 4th holiday would
benefit all members of the Senate.

"Today's high gas prices illustrate that our dependence on foreign sources
of energy endangers both our homeland security and our economy," Sen.
Landrieu said. "Congress must come together, move past endless partisan
posturing and take action. But action must be rooted in knowledge, and far
too many come to the debate listing only to interest groups that feed a
political agenda. A bipartisan commitment, informed by balanced expertise,
will allow Congress to move forward with commonsense energy policy that
combines increased domestic production with an investment in alternative
technologies."

"The rising cost of energy is the number one issue I am hearing about from
Georgians, and the effect these costs are having on family budgets is very
real and very urgent," said U.S. Senator Saxby Chambliss, R-Georgia. "This
is a complex issue, but we cannot shy away from action. We should not play
politics with such an urgent crisis; we must come together to act now. That
is what Georgians want and it is what we as policymakers want."

"Our country is in serious danger because of skyrocketing energy costs.
This growing crisis demands urgent action," said U.S. Senator Kent Conrad,
D-North Dakota. "No single political party can solve our energy crisis. The
time for delay is over. We need to work together to face our energy
challenges head on and secure a more energy-independent future."

"For too long Congress has let partisan politics block good energy
policies," said U.S. Senator John Thune, R-South Dakota. "It is time for
Congress to put these differences aside, find real solutions and put America
back on a path toward energy independence. I join my colleagues in calling
for an emergency energy summit, so we can begin to turn this energy crisis
around."

"American families are feeling the pain of our growing energy crisis," said
U.S. Senator Lindsey Graham, R-South Carolina. "Gas is at $4 a gallon. Now
is the time to come together to create real solutions that will produce new
domestic sources of energy. Our nation desperately needs to become more
energy independent and this summit is a step in the right direction."

"Without a doubt, Americans are in desperate need of relief from high
energy prices," said U.S. Senator Blanche Lincoln D-Arkansas. "Nowhere is
that felt more than in Arkansas and other rural states across the country.
America's reliance on foreign oil is not a sustainable strategy. I believe
our country should focus on a long-term investment strategy that includes
renewable and alternative energy sources, which will pave a road to energy
independence, and we must act now."

"There are no quick fixes in dealing with this issue, but there are things
we can and must do," said U.S. Senator Johnny Isakson, R-Georgia. "With
skyrocketing gas prices, it is absolutely critical for Congress to act now
and act boldly. Holding an energy summit to hear from the experts on energy
policy is a positive first-step in moving towards a bipartisan solution."

"Partisan bickering will not lower gas prices or put us on a course toward
energy independence," said U.S. Senator Mark Pryor, D-Arkansas. "We need to
really sit down and talk about all the options on the table, evaluate their
merits and move full speed ahead on meaningful reform."

"The energy challenges facing our country cannot be solved without
bipartisan commitment and cooperation," said U.S. Senator Bob Corker,
R-Tennessee. "I am pleased to be part of an effort to bring together the
best ideas of both parties and am anxious to move our country forward with
balanced legislation that makes us more secure."

"No matter their politics, all Americans are feeling increasing pain from
rising energy costs and we in Congress need to start working together now to
find solutions to this crisis," said U.S. Sen. Ben Nelson, D-Nebraska. "A
bipartisan energy summit is a good first step on the road to move us toward
more energy security and independence."

The text of the letter, signed by U.S. Senators Saxby Chambliss, R-Georgia,
Kent Conrad, D-North Dakota, John Thune, R-South Dakota, Lindsey Graham,
R-South Carolina, Blanche Lincoln, D-Arkansas, Mary Landrieu, D-Louisiana,
Johnny Isakson, R-Georgia, Mark Pryor, D-Arkansas, Bob Corker, R-Tennessee,
and Ben Nelson, D-Nebraska, can be found here:
http://landrieu.senate.gov/news/08.06.27_Bipartisan_Energy_Group.pdf
<http://landrieu-press.enews.senate.gov/mail/util.cfm?mailaction=clickthru&g
piv=1999891123.1613.19&gen=1&mailing_linkid=1722>

- 30 -