[StBernard] July meeting press release

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jul 2 10:12:15 EDT 2008

PRESS RELEASE FROM ST. BERNARD BPW CLUB

DEBORAH KELLER, PRESIDENT 504-473-3470 or ddk120757 at aol.com
CLAIRE RUNNELS, PUBLIC RELATIONS CHAIR 504-491-4431
2aunts at bellsouth.net

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

ST. BERNARD BUSINESS AND PROFESSIONAL WOMEN’S CLUB
JULY GENERAL MEETING FOCUS ON HURRICANE PREP 2008

The St. Bernard Business and Professional Women’s Club will hold its
next meeting on Monday, July 21 at 6 p.m. at the Council on Aging
office, 8201 West Judge Perez Drive in Chalmette. Featured guest speaker
is David Dysart, Director of the St. Bernard Parish Office of Homeland
Security and Emergency Prepardness. He will address what's new in
hurricane preparation and evacuation as the height of hurricane season
approaches. The meeting is open to members, potential members, and
their guests.

“At our June meeting we brainstormed on what St. Bernard women want
from BPW. Although we generated a lot of ideas for upcoming programs, we
also recognized that living in a coastal area we can't help but be on
alert during the months of August and September. With so many residents
now back home and many new residents since 2005, a refresher from the
director on what's new in storm preparation and evacuations would be
helpful. It's easy to get overwhelmed with information in the media, so
we appreciate an opportunity to have the director address us
personally," says Deborah Keller, BPW President.

“We also believe that everyone has learned something from the
Katrina experience. The meeting will also give an opportunity for the
audience to share some of the things they are doing different with their
family or business in regards to protecting property, evacuating,
communications, etc. In business, we talk about mitigating against
future disasters, preparations, recovery, and continuity of operations
plans, but we need to bring that mindset to our personal lives, as well.
And while the director will be focused on hurricanes, these practices
and procedures apply to many of the disasters that a community could
encounter, such as Mississippi River floods, hazardous material spills,
freezes, fire, and terrorism."

The National Federation of Business and Professional Women (BPW/USA) is
a leading advocate for working women. Founded in 1919, it addresses
issues that affect their personal lives, such as health care and
finances, and their professional careers, for those in the work force.
The St. Bernard local organization, chartered in 1961, has provided such
programs as the annual 4th of July Bell Ringing Ceremony, the St.
Bernard Man and Woman of the Year banquet, National Business Women’s
Week, college scholarships, leadership and professional training
workshops, and the De La Ronde Cotillion.

-30-

Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with Tyler
Florence" on AOL Food.

DEBORAH KELLER, PRESIDENT 504-473-3470 or ddk120757 at aol.com
CLAIRE RUNNELS, PUBLIC RELATIONS CHAIR 504-491-4431
2aunts at bellsouth.net

[...]

and procedures apply to many of disasters that a community could