[StBernard] Landrieu Addresses Sustainability Summit

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jul 2 19:15:58 EDT 2008

Landrieu Addresses Sustainability Summit

ALEXANDRIA - United States Senator Mary Landrieu, D-La., today addressed
attendees of the "Summit on Sustainability" in Alexandria, La. She discussed
sustainable energy production and "Smart Growth" - a planning concept that
promotes economic development without compromising the long-term
environmental and ecological health of our communities.

"It is equally unsustainable to depend largely on oil and gas from
unfriendly regions of the world, as it is to believe that we can rely on
oil-based supply forever," Sen. Landrieu said. "In the short term, I am a
strong advocate of producing more of our energy here at home. We can drill
off our coasts safely and in accordance with our highest environmental
standards. We also need to seriously invest in alternative fuels that are
produced in America, such as biofuels that are made from agricultural waste
- not food. Electric vehicles also show great promise, as does nuclear
energy.

"I believe we can manage our spent nuclear fuel more intelligently than we
have in the past. That is why I worked with my friend Senator Domenici of
New Mexico just last week to introduce the SMART Act, which will ensure that
we wisely manage our spent fuel, and ultimately recycle it. Increasing our
use of nuclear energy is the only way America can meet our increasing energy
demands while simultaneously reducing greenhouse gas emissions."

In addition to discussing sustainability in energy production, Sen. Landrieu
also spoke about reducing the amount of energy America consumes through
adopting more energy efficient energy codes, as Louisiana has. She discussed
the importance of Smart Growth, a type of community planning for which she
has been a leading advocate, and for which she has secured funds for
communities' promotion of these planning efforts.

"We know we have some assets in this state, but we have not always known
how to capitalize on them," Sen. Landrieu said. "With good planning, we can
ensure that our sense of community never dissipates."

Alexandria Mayor Jacques Roy was also instrumental in hosting the first-ever
Summit on Sustainability.

"From nurseries in Forest Hill to the beautiful streetscape in Natchitoches,
our region has much to offer if we work together toward sustainable growth,"
said Mayor Roy. "That means supporting each other and avoiding the
temptation to be isolationist in approach to economic development and scarce
resources. We work best together, supporting each other on our individual
strengths in the region.

"In a way, our region was destined for greatness. Our region's story
provides clues to what Smart Growth is all about (and not about)-and what
must be addressed. At the turn of the century and before, Alexandria and
central Louisiana were models of traditional American planning.

"What we now call 'new urbanism' was the order of the day in downtown Jena
and Alexandria many years ago. After depressions, wars, the advent of the
automobile (and its singular contribution to changing the makeup of cities),
perhaps some strategic misses politically decades ago, and urban flight,
Alexandria and the region like much of America became less of a sustainable
model. Haphazard planning and suburban sprawl were the order of the last
half of the twentieth century.

"Following the last 20 years of inching forward and development of objective
criteria for sustainable planning, we are once again poised to take the
lead. "

- 30 -