[StBernard] Abandoned Lots acquisitions

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Mon Jul 14 11:22:21 EDT 2008

Craig,

I think it's a great idea that residents can purchase the abandoned lots
next to theirs. You were quoted in the paper saying the lots would be sold
at "fair market value." My question is how is fair market value going to be
determined and who is going to be performing the valuation?

I strongly recommend it be done by a certifed real estate appraiser, but
whose appraiser will be doing it?...an appraiser contracted by the parish or
by the purchaser? Either party acquiring the appraiser will be presumed to
have the appraiser working for "their own interests," thus an issue of
impartiality will be raised.

As I see there's only one fair way to go about this. The parish should have
its appraiser and the resident looking to acquire the abandoned lot should
get his/her own, then you average the two findings. I've already spoken
with a couple of appraisers and they're telling me an appraisal on these
abandoned lots should cost in the ballpark of a couple of hundred dollars.
My thinking is someone would be more than willing to pay that to have their
own appraisal opinion weighed against that of the parish hired appraiser.
This way averaging the final value of the two appraisal opinions leaves no
dispute whether each side was given equal weight and if the final value was
arrived at fairly.

The parish government should set a fee for their appraisal cost and create a
list of "any" state certified appraisers who wish to obtain appraisal work
from the parish government where it could be given out on a rotational
basis. The individual seeking to purchase the lot next door can find
his/her own appraiser, either getting a name off of the parish's list of
appraisers or from any other referal source.

I belive this method will make everyone happy.

Edgar