[StBernard] What is our country coming to?

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Wed Jul 16 23:32:43 EDT 2008

Westley,

This is an update for posting on the famous sign put up by Bud Gregg, a
Mandeville State Farm agent.

After receiving physical threats the sign has come down. I can only ask
what kind of country are we turning into when a individual, private or
public, cannot express his/her opinion, in good taste and good natured,
without receiving threats of bodily harm or death.

Mandeville, Louisiana is often called the conservative or Republican capital
of Louisiana. A registered Democrat has absolutely no chance whatsoever of
getting elected to public office and the locals consistently vote Republican
90%+ of the time...no surprise.

So, once again, the extreme "liberal fringe" minority (or "flakes" as I like
to call them) causes a person of "majority opinion" to refrain from
exercising his constiutional right of free expression. Again, I ask "what
is our country coming to?"

The local authorities agree the threats were made by individuals who are
"obviously Obama supporters." After all, it doesn't take a Sherlock Holmes
to figure out why would anyone who is against Obama or for John McCain make
such a threat.

Bud has two ladies who work in his office, often working several hours on a
given day without Bud in the office. They insisted Bud "not" take down the
sign, but out of consideration for their safety he said there was no way he
would take such a risk with so many kooks out there who don't have any
regard or respect for others. I understand what he did and respect him for
that.

But, there are two items of good news that's come from this. First, Bud's
business is on the up. He's received dozens of calls from people who all
expressed a common message..."you're the kind of agent I want to do business
with."

Secondly, Bud told me there's a billboard available in another busy area of
Mandeville (away from his office) and he's negotiating with the billboard
company to rent it and have the same message placed on it as the smaller
sign. Bud said it will clearly read at the bottom for all to easily
see..."Paid for by Bud Gregg."

Go Bud!!!

John Scurich