[StBernard] "We are no longer a Christian nation"

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Tue Aug 5 18:38:46 EDT 2008

Wendy,

Let me suggest you do something I was forced to do back in my college days -
at the time hating it but now I'm glad I did. Contact the local university
libraries and see if they have the Minutes of the 1787 Consitutional
Convention. Let me warn you it's many, many volumes long. While my
professor did not make us read all of it, we did read quite a bit.

You'll find what our founding fathers precisely meant in every word of the
Bill of Rights and the Articles of Confederation and Perpetual Union.
You'll read all the debates they had, but throughout all the reading you'll
see a common and persistent theme - they had every intention of creating a
government based solidly on "Christian" principles. They constantly mention
God (the Judeo-Christian God). I don't know how knowledgeable our founders
were in regards to other religions, but it was apparently irrelevent to
them. Their intentions through speeches, debate and compromise are very
clear in the minutes.

I'm often disappointed how so called scholars today put their own spin on
what our fouding fathers meant. There's no need to guess at, everyone can
read it for themselves if they have the time.

John