[StBernard] st lights & other

Westley Annis Westley at da-parish.com
Fri Aug 8 09:33:24 EDT 2008

Jer,

Trying to move things along with my complaints is all I can do. I do not
give up in that regard and I keep on top of reporting and following up with
the proper parish agencies. I will admit that I am not a politician or
community activist. I do my part in my own way. I have been working very
hard and have restored seven properties in the parish for myself and family
members. I am not done working and I believe I am contributing to the
parish and it's restoration. I vote and I expect my leaders that I voted
for do what they say they will do and keep their word. I expect them to do
their jobs and work for me. That is not being done in a satisfactory manner.
There is progress, but the pace is painfully slow, as I said. We can't all
be Martin Luther Kings. Most people with any sort of means or options have
left. The population is down and people do not trust the corp of engineers
or the local or federal governement. That is why there is no outrage or
crowding into meeting. People have given up and feel helpless to make any
real difference. They do not believe their voices will be heard, or that
their concerns are cared about. Left behind and forgotten. That is how I
feel most of the time, even by our own local politicians and leaders.

Laurie

> Yes, there is much discontent (and will be for many years to come if not

> redirected).

> Firstly, there is progress, but not fast enough for many. Secondly, if I

can

> relate this to the civil rights movement by any degree of comparison,

there

> would be no sit-in-strikes/lunch counter sit in's, no marches (complete

with

> dogbites), no jailing of citizens, no movement to city halls, no civil

> disobedience, no request to move from a bus seat, etc.

> Therefore, if one is complacent and has but hopes and dreams and no other

> combatant strategy to get things moving from the horrific binds that tie

St.

> Bernardians to suffrage, there must be activity.

> For example, who's bitc*** about conditions? What very aggressive actions

> are being perpetrated by local and state government to get things on the

> fast-track, money to finish projects (ie's are hospital, infrastructure),

> etc. How hard is the Chamber/Economic Development working to move things

> along more quickly for the inhabitants of the greatest parish on earth?

> Where are the townhall meetings that were on fire (remember the Wal-Mart

> Controversy right before the storm) where residents packed the council

> chambers?

> The parish needs to be more energized and people more proactive. In the

case

> of the example above, if the civil rights didn't march, wasn't obedient,

> never shouted or complained, life would have continued much to the status

> quo, like what's happening for many who believe compressed carbon is

turning