[StBernard] ExxonMobil helps out St. Bernard schools

Westley Annis westley at da-parish.com
Fri Aug 15 00:29:42 EDT 2008

ExxonMobil helps out St. Bernard schools
Company gives grants totaling $2.9 million Thursday, August 14, 2008By Barry
Lemoine
The St. Bernard Parish School System's 2008-09 school year started with a
bang -- literally -- as exploding confetti, music, video and a live vocal
performance were all part of the lively back-to-school program for all of
the district's employees on Aug. 6 at Chalmette High School.

But the big news of the day was a pair of presentations by the ExxonMobil
Foundation.

Two grants were given to the St. Bernard school district, totaling $2.9
million. The money will go toward the construction of the new Chalmette High
School Cultural Arts Center, as well as the continuation and implementation
of the district's math and science initiatives.

The financing represents the largest one-time donation to the school
district, bringing ExxonMobil's total commitment to St. Bernard schools to
$4.2 million since Hurricane Katrina.

Gerald McElvy, ExxonMobil Foundation president, presented a check in the
amount of $931,000 to promote both the teaching and learning of math and
science.

"These are the cornerstones of a healthy economy, a healthy community and
for our general competitiveness in the world," he said.

Richard Igerich, the Chalmette Refinery manager, was also on hand,
presenting a check for $2 million to the school district's new cultural arts
center.

"We keep on giving to the local community to help it become viable as it
continues to grow," Igerich said. "This is part of our ongoing support for
education and the cultural arts."

Conrad Browne, a science teacher and the new technology coordinator at
Chalmette High, said the generous gift comes at a good time.

"It's a shot in the arm that was desperately needed and one that is
gratefully acknowledged," Browne said.

Barry Lemoine writes about school news. He can be reached at
barrybravo at yahoo.com or 504.301.8770.